Dehumidifier

FishGeek

I used it all summer with no ill effects.

Or, I just didn't notice.

But I bought one that was very expensive if that makes a difference.

Next time I use it, I will examine the water.

It's so dry right now, it won't work unless the humidity is over 30%.

Wouldn't the airborne pollutants be in our tanks as well? Also I noticed that if the dehumidifer runs fairly often and gets emptied regularly the water is okay but if it is left in the bin or a container by itself it goes slimey (probably due to the low ph). I have never noticed any oil on mine but I empty it every 3rd day in the winter and ever day in the summer.

Am I living in the same AB as everyone else? This is driest place I've ever been (except for Winnipeg). I can't imagine why you would need a dehumidifier :shock:. Or do you have that many tanks?

Actually, I do....my ambient humidity without a dehumid is about 45%-50%....with cooking or a shower, it can peak at 80%.

The ONLY reason why we bought one (two actually), is because our sewer pump stopped working and I drained my bathtub. ALL the water from the tub backed up all over the carpet in the basement. We tried fans, but it did not evaporate the water fast enough and we were starting to see mold. So that's why we bought a dehumidifier. I think the humidity was over 70% when we started it up. I was emptying it TWICE a day. Finally the air was down to 35%. Now, it is at 21% because it's winter and very dry. (Water from the basement dissipated long ago). Even in my fish room, with 16 tanks, the humidity was never over 35%.

But you should see how much water evaporates from my tanks now!

A lot!

• 1 month later...

I'm like Toirtis: I evaporate about 40L a week into the air, and that is with a relatively closed off, basement fish room. Humidity at about 35% with the door closed, over 50% if I leave it open all day. If the door is oen, my evaporation rate jumps dramatically.

Whenever I catch a cold, I just go sit in my basement: about 550 gallons of tropical temp water... Really, I am sitting there watching the fish, for my health!!! -roll-

David

My landlord forced me to get the dehumidifier after coming to visit during the winter. After seeing the how the ice ripped apart my window sils I was given the choice of given a dehumidfier or getting rid of the tanks. So i got a dehumidfier. I tried putting some of the water in a bucket, and sure enough, an oil slick formed on top. A shame it's not usable but oh well. Time to go back to make due with using snow. Thanks for the input ! :beer: .