Need some more subsrate

Raven

I done have enough subrate for the african set up. The amount i have now barily covers the bottom of the tank, so id like to use someone subrate that they have in a african set up. My threoy is that the bacteria in the gravel could help the tank cycle in a fishless cycle. If not, then id gladly appreatate any gravel, small gravel, along with... a spounge that you can leave in the back of your filter to collect bacteria so i can put it in the tank. It just a idea Degrassi gave me. Please, some one help me out, lol.

Raven; this a new tank setup. and you plan on the fishless cycle, correct.

Just add more gravel. the biobacteria will coloninze it. Trouble with just relying on the gravel for the bio-logical: when you clean the gravel you can loose [some] of the bacteria.

Adding a large bio-foam is better. air driven and/or in a filter case.

Foams, biosphears, any media developed for the colonizing of bio-bacteria is a better choice.

HTH

Smokey

ok, tanks. I have to set up the powerhead and filter soon, so maybe that will help abit. For a actual filter i plan on the one with a bio wheel, ive one set up in my communal tank and it works great. Ill have to buy a powerbar before i do anything electrical yet, one plug in for 2 tanks isnt enough with out one. Any way, if anything else stumps me, im sure youll hear of it.

Yes keep running the old filter when you add the new one.

But you mentioned that your tnak had a illness recently. How recently? if this illness just happned i wouldnt' want to infect my new tank by adding a contaminated filter to it. So if this illness was recent or if any fish is still sick then i wouldn't put your new filter on this tank. But if all the fish are healthy now and its been a while since them being sick then i think it should be ok(dont' take only my word on this).

Excellant point ; Val.

Raven, you would not want to contaminte a new tank; with a disease or nasties.

One reason why the Ammonia cycle is used. It provides for an infection free uint/tank.

Starting with NH3 @ 5ppm, shoud be able to cycle a tank in under 2 weeks. Mind you, the test kits are necessary, to let you know the cycle/ growth of the tank.

Thanks Val; for staying on top of this one.

[ never use a sick foam ].

ok, i think Christy has the kit for her tank... ill check next time im home. No one has any extra gravel? im kinda short for cash right now, and pay day isnt till next friday, and if i wait till then im worried the tank wont be ready for Oct 17 and the auction where ill by the fish. Is it alright if i fill the tank with water, set up the decor and run just the powerhead with filter attachment right now? Even though i dont have a proper filter or the right amount of gravel? As for the other tank and the fungus that went through, its going on week 2 of being clean and the survivors show no signs of sickness.