Low Light Tank

Garhan

here isd a low light tank I setup a while back (2 months ago). The play is more with the rocks than the plants. Actually the plants were an after thought. having the anubias nana cascade down the Glacier Rock makes a reasonable effect. Especially with the gray/blue slate backgroung that is waterfoam adhered to the back glass plate. The brown rock is sandstone picked from a local river.The crypts are growing in and are immaculate in condition. But they still need more developement. The Red Flame sword and Osiris are in only to proof to myself that even high light requirement plants can do well in lower light condition with a good fertilizer program. They may not grow tall or even propogate, but that is not what I am trying to achieve in this enviornmentThere is no C02 and about 2 watts per gallon of light. Temperature is 74 F, PH 7.8-8.2 (tap water, so whatever it is at the time). Substrate is Silica Sand, 40/60 grain. No other base put into substrate. No algae either.

Fish are peacock fry (8) and do not seem hard on plants. Water change once every 2 weeks at 30%. But I do add Trace Elements for Cichlids.

Cheers,

Garhan :ml:

post-23-1096066211

Smokey, truely this one is really easy. The plants are so simple, but the rock picking is harder, and finding the right layout is tougher yet. There are some simple things to keep in mind when placing the rock structure.

1. Nothing should be built dead center. Use a ratio of 1:1.618 (takahashi amano principles) Even if this mean two different or blended rock profiles in the tank. Not sure if I was that clearin explanation.

2. Try to keep the vast majority of your rock the same type...i.e. all slate, all sandstone.all petrified wood. all the same colour or very close to it. But as you can see a small mix of rock type is OK too. Slate also does not mean flat sheets of rock. Go to a rock quarry or bulk supplier to source your slate...I mean big flat chunky pieces of slate.

3. Build yourself a back wall if desired at least 2/3 up the back of the tank, if you want a back wall or to the top.Make sure it is secured. Or you can paint the back of the tank a black or dark blue on the outside of the glass.. these colours really show your tank off well. Use your imagination here. i.e a sheet of plexiglass of 4-6mm- cut to the dimensions of your back sheet of glass, some waterfall foam on the plexiglass (laid flat for building your wall) and sprinkle sand , gravel, place rocks...your limitation is the lack of imagination. Waterfall foam can be purchased at places like Canar Rock Product, Burnco...etc. It is great stuff :thumbs:

5. If there is a slight colour difference in your rocks, boulders - meaning shade..light grey, medium grey, darker grey...so on, keep the lighter stuff to the back and as you move forward in the display gradually move into the darker stuff. This will give the impression of depth. Another example of this in a picture would be less detail further away and more detail the closer the foreground..right.

6. Try to point most of or even all your rocks upward at a angle, usually not more than 45 degrees.

7. Place rock structures in groups of 3,5,7,11. It balances the image better. Even numbers dont seem to work as well...I wont get into the theory of that comment...have faith, it works.

8. Pardon the expression and play with your rocks in the display.. this could take days. When you are really happy with it, walk away and come back in 2 days. If your still happy, you just got the yang in your rock pile.

9. Now work on the ying in your plant selection, 3,5,7 species, play colour the same.

10. Dont over do it, be concious of weigth. Remember :bang1: 1:1.618 ratio, draw lines on your tank if you have to with a water soluable marker. (tip) ;)

11. go play, start with a 10 gallon tank. Pet Smart usually sells new on sale for 9.99 + tax.

Drop me a line if you would like further discussion.

Cheers,

Garhan

garhan