Blue Rams spawned again!

cgmac

Thanks for that piece of advice .... but an update on the fry.

They have all died off. Starting yesterday, and into last evening. I do believe that this pair will spawn again soon. I will be more prepared with the feeding. I think that having gravel on the tank bottom collected uneaten food and it fouled the water enough to hurt the fish. Too bad....my first try at it and I was really hoping it would all turn out. Thanks for all the help !

The best filter I've found for fry tanks is a sponge filter; I prefer the tetra brilli's b/c they're off the bottom so no fry can go under and get stuck/die. It also provides food in it for the little guys to pick at. I've always found that power filters have just too much water movement for tiny fry and end up sucking up all the food and making it too hard to get to as well. And the like the others said, a bare bottom tank makes it much easier to clean, and also stops fry from getting stuck in the gravel and dieing. I've found that for food cyclops-eeze worked great at first for my egglayers, or simply ground-up flake.

Good luck with the next spawn!

I'm not sure how big the fry are with Rams, but if they are anywhere near the size of Rainbowfish "larvae", BBS is much too big for them and they won't be able to fit it in their mouths for about a week.

Maybe Microworms, but vinegar eels for sure. It's possible they will need microscopic foods.

If they can eat BBS, you will see them swimming around with orange bellies.

I'm not sure how big the fry are with Rams, but if they are anywhere near the size of Rainbowfish "larvae", BBS is much too big for them and they won't be able to fit it in their mouths for about a week.

Maybe Microworms, but vinegar eels for sure. It's possible they will need microscopic foods.

If they can eat BBS, you will see them swimming around with orange bellies.

I will try to find a vinegar eel culture, seems that they are the most recommended foodfor these tiny little fry.

I was at Walmart today and saw some Tetra filters that are meant to be an internal filter. Was wondering if this is the filter that African Fever was talking about for the fry tank, has anyone noticed these filters?? Thanks to you all for posting your experiences !