Oscar Community

Mighty Prawn

I am going to have 2 Oscars, 2 green severums, a single bichir, and I am hoping for a armoured catfish (callichthys) if I can, as well as a sun cat. I am also hoping for some kind of smaller, faster moving fish that can stay safe from the bichir and oscars. I was thinking 5 or 6 red rainbow (6 inches?) or 5 or 6 elegant rasboras (6 inches?) or perhaps 3 bala sharks if they can fare well.

Perhaps even a redhook if I can find one? 1 or 2 maybe?

Maybe an eartheater if the Oscars will leave it alone.

I will list my different set up wants, please help me decide which will be best. The basis for all of them will be at least 2 Oscars.

Setup 1:

2-3 Oscars

2 Green Severums

1 Bichir

1 Sun Sucker Cat

3 Bala Sharks

Setup 2:

2 Oscars

2 Green Severums

1 Bichir

1-2 armoured catfish

1 Adonis or Royal panaque

6 large rainbows or rasboras

Setup 3:

2 Oscars

2 Green Severums

1 Bichir

1 Adonis or Royal Panaque

3 Bala Sharks

Setup 4:

4 Oscars

2 Green Severums

1 Bichir

1 Adonis or Royal Panaque

Setup 5:

Suggestions?

This will, as many know, be a 180 gallon tank, with a 55 gallon sump. I will probably use a sand substrate, target playsand as I was not happy with the sand from princess auto. Otherwise it will be plain black gravel. I am leaning towards sand though, as I am nearly deadset on a bichir. Lots of rockwork, pots and driftwood. I will attempt a few very hardy plants, potted, and I would like to have at least 1 tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons. If I keep a fish that is sensitive to salt, like a pleco, I will have to nix the salt.

I also wouldn't mind having 2 or 3 fully grown apple snails in there.

The time to set up my tank is drawing nearer and nearer! I would like to get the fish at least 2 weeks before I set up the tank, so I can have them fully quarantined and ready to go into the tank with everyone else once it is set up. So that means I'll probably be looking at starting to get the fish this, or next weekend.

In the interest of space, I currently have a 55 gallon tank that has my 3 oscars in it, as well some spare 10's and a 20 if need be. Heck, I could even whip up my 55 that is slated as the sump, and wait until last minute to put it together, if I have to house some fish unhappy in the 55 oscar tank or in a smaller 10 or 20 by themselves.

Any huge problems presented with my choices? I would be willing to get any size bichir needed to ensure it is not harmed with my oscars, despite my current request to buy a medium sized on in the Buy and Sell forums.

-Hideo

You will need a larger (15"+) bichir...almost certainly an ornate, saddled, or congo...to be able to have even a chance of living successfully with your oscars....be prepared to spend a good $200-. This bichir will be quite capable of snarfing down all but the very largest of rainbows (since bichirs are nocturnal predators, 'faster-moving' does not count for much).

Loricarids are generally not good to put with Polypterids.

All that being said, you had better hope for some pretty docile oscars....or dump the oscar idea altogether.

Darn.

What about a fire eel, or a spiny eel or something like that?

Maybe I will do a bichir in my 55... Was going to do cichlids, but maybe a bichir will steal their potential home.

Okay okay, so let's say no bichir. What about the other selections, any problems there?

-Hideo

What I don't get is why all the books and websites out there say Oscars are peaceful, and only eat/attack what will fit in their mouth, yet they'd be no good with a bichir. What did a bichir ever do to an Oscar!? Why can't they just get along!?

-Hideo