Where do you get driftwood?

Mighty Prawn

I'm gonna need some big assed pieces of driftwood for my 180, where do you get it aside from an LFS?

The rockyard I went to that AndyL reccomended had a section for it, but had none at the time.

-Hideo

I get mine from the mountains.

Takes lots of boiling to kill bugs and lots of weights to submerse but after it takes in the water they are good to go!!

Not sure but did you try Ornamental?? Near the deerfoot mall?

Edited by Canadbis

• 2 months later...
Takes lots of boiling to kill bugs and lots of weights to submerse but after it takes in the water they are good to go!!

When you say a lot, can you be a little more specific? I have a piece soaking in some cold water and bleach right now. Planned on doing that first, then rinsing with boiling water a couple of times. What do you think?

I would be concerned with soaking anything that absorbs (ie. anything but rock and plastic) with bleach, as it will hold some of the chlorine and release it later once it's in your tank. I would dunk it in a pail of treated (ie Prime, Aquasafe, etc) water, and let it sit for a couple days. Then test the water for chlorine and see if there is a trace, there. If the 'standard' dose of Prime, etc can handle the chlorine released by the wood, you're safe... however if after a couple days you start seeing chlorine readings, I would not put that in a tank.

Tanker,

Thanks so much for the advice. It does make sense that the wood could absorb some chlorine and I wondered if it was a good idea but went for it anyway. I gave it an hour or so in the bleach water, and then doused it with boiling water, which I plan to do a few more times before submersing it in regular water. I'll definitely let it soak for several days and I as you suggested I'll test the water after that to see what's next.

When you say a lot, can you be a little more specific? I have a piece soaking in some cold water and bleach right now. Planned on doing that first, then rinsing with boiling water a couple of times. What do you think?

I agree with tanker get it out of the bleach. I boil for 2 hours, sure heats the house up. But I think the oven works best for killing, 200 degrees for 3 hours will kill anything. I have been told i over kill but hey DO YOU WANT SOME OUTDOOR BUG TO KILL YOUR FISH?? not me

hehehehehehe

Edited by Canadbis

I got some driftwood from big al's. The stuff leaches like hell. I soaked in in bleach for a day, then boiled the hell out of it repeatedly (over and over and over and over....). Still leaching. I think it's the wood and will never stop. AC helps a bit, but after a day or two the ac becomes brown and doesn't work any more. Was going through way too much AC. I think I will try a different (and cheaper) source for wood.