Plant newbie

canucklehead

If you don't have as much light as Ryan mentionned above, you could try some Java Moss and Java Ferns to start out. They'll do well in just 1.5-2 watts per gallon, ~maybe less. I also have some Bacopa growing in one of my 10 gallon tanks with 2 watts per gallon.

Is Calgary water hard like it is up here in Edmonton?

canucklehead, Dont go out and try just any plants that people recommend without making a few commitments to yourself. Otherwise you will be disappointed. With the right approach based on your cash flow and fore thought you can grow any plant type in Calgary water. :shock:

For example if I had only 100 dollars to build a planted tank, I could in deed create a show piece that could posibbly win trophy's or at least turn my head every time I walked by it. The pride in the complishment would be outstanding. Yep $100.00 start to finish and it doesnt matter how difficult a plant. So long as your willing to do some things yourself, such as scrape, salvage, trade, build or even borrow.

Cheers,

Garhan :ml: