what kind of substrate are you using?

nat

I would like some advice. I am about to start planted aquarium. And I want to make sure I have done everything right.

What substrates are you using? What is better - fluorite or laterite? Can I mix them? Do you use any other additives? Peat?

Nat , I posted a piece earlier on substrate that I have found very successful it is under High Intensity Tank. Currently the photo I used was of a 55 gallon and I tore it apart after a 2 year display. I rebuilt that tank about 3 weeks ago. It is still growing in but it will be real nice in about 2 months. This substrate is inexpensive and is a take off of Takehasi Amanos "Power Sand". Most of the input came from Rudy the "Tropica rep and Henry at Dads Fishroom, plus hundreds of hour reading everything I could find on the web.

Cheers,

Garhan :ml:

post-36-1096644885

I myself have learned tonnes from Garhan's plant knowledge. Since using peat and soil in my substrate my plants have done alot better. Especially root wise. The tank in the pic is coming along nicely but I think it is still the Gymnogeophagus Austraille's that steal that show. IMO the only thing I would add to that 50 gallon would be blackwater extract as i mentioned. It just seems that in that much light, the colors fade on fish and even though your rams are looking great their color would be extremely enhanced by some blackwater. If that ground cover fills in that will surely be an aquarium beautiful contest winner at ACE that is if the Austrailles are removed before they spawn and remove the ground work for you. I have to say I was very impressed with the african tank though and the subtle addition of greenery in there. The annubias is almost flawless and that rubin sword, I never thought it would thrive well in that hard of water, good work, look forward to seeing both tanks progress.

thanks guys, I found the information very useful. And great looking tank, Garhan! Hope to have one like that some time.

I decided to try mixture of flourite and laterite covered with regular gravel. Everybody has a right to make their own mistakes, right? We'll see how it works.

Now my concern is that I have too much light - 192 watt per 50 gal. -_-

Nat, I think the light out put is great. Good quantity. Should be able to grow some difficult plants as per say. Play with the light interval...like 12 hours to start and this may have to be cut back some as the plants and any algae would dictate. Do you have your lights on a timer...it a good idea if you dont. What type of bulbs are you using...i.e. full spectrum, cool-white (not that great for plants) grow lights..so on

post-36-1096928016

Nat, also on your substrate, nothing wrong with mixing it. But I certainly would add in some peat pellets at the least in the lower layer. Sure seems to bother people to add 2 to 3" of tropical plant soil. the peat also helps soften the water and gives of good tannis that yellow your water. Which can really show of the colouring in some fish, especially your SA types. Therefore careful on your fish selection with the softer water as result of the peat.

Get some pics out when you can, sounds like a fun project.

Cheers,

post-36-1096928693