very sick lionfish and trigger

easyrider

Yesterday I noticed my lionfish and niger trigger were both very sick. Both have whats looks like a patchy white velvet on the skin and glazed over eyes. As of today i noticed some of the lion's fins are rotting as well (overnight). Also over the last week I have noticed the trigger laying on his side on the live rock.

Also another point of interest... noticed a thick skim of what looks like protein on the top all of a sudden. This is the first time in a 2 year old tank that this has happened.

I do 30% water changes once a month and do not run a skimmer.

I started a treatment with Pimafix today cause I do not want to treat with copper.

Both fish look very bad any help would be great. Thanx HB

What is your water chemistry like? PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, etc.? What kind of filtratio are you running? Do you have anything breaking the surface of the water?

Yesterday I noticed my lionfish and niger trigger were both very sick. Both have whats looks like a patchy white velvet on the skin and glazed over eyes. As of today i noticed some of the lion's fins are rotting as well (overnight). Also over the last week I have noticed the trigger laying on his side on the live rock.

Also another point of interest... noticed a thick skim of what looks like protein on the top all of a sudden. This is the first time in a 2 year old tank that this has happened.

I do 30% water changes once a month and do not run a skimmer.

I started a treatment with Pimafix today cause I do not want to treat with copper.

Both fish look very bad any help would be great. Thanx HB

Okay then.

Either you need to setup a hospital tank (A rubbermaid tub will be just fine) for the fish or risk killing your inverts.

You need to drasically lower the salinity until you get to a specific gravity of 1.010. The best way to do it is setup a tub or something with water pre mixed at that salinity and move them over in a bag. Add a couple cups of the new water to the bag every 20 minutes for 2 hours or so then let them go in the tub. Whatever is causing this, that should slow it down.

Can you get a picture of it and post?

Also, does the trigger look fine aside from the somewaht strange behavior (triggers are wierd)? Is there any fin damage or discoloration on him? If not, consider the possibilty that the trigger is doing the dammage to lionfish. This is a common issue.

Edited by midgetwaiter

Update..... the lionfish is bellyup. The speed of his demise is mind blowing. this all took place in 2 days ( the visual part anyway). The trigger still has signs of it but seems to be doing alot better than the lion did. The lion fish basically rotted right in front of me.

I am not able to post pics.I am completely stumped.