Mystery Crab

Molino

I got some LR for my tank just a week ago. With the LR I also got a tiny stow away! I spotted him the first night while looking at my LR. I was not able to find him again until today and he was out long enough for me to snap a few pictures, one of which is in reasonable focus. He is very tiny, maybe a half inch in width including his legs.

IMG_3157-Crab-650w.jpg

Does anybody know what type of Crab this is? And where I could find some information on him, size, etc..

Thanks

definitely worth saving - there are several calgary reefers who keep triggers, mantis shrimp, eels which would always appreciate a good snack.

Andy

Yup,

I personally would be interested in any and all small hitchikers you pulled out. Just let me know what you want for shipping.

Andy contacted me on canreef to let me know about this post - thanks bro ;)

- Chad

I don't know if they'd be much good for a snack at the size they are now, looking at them again today they are probably smaller than I had earlier estimated. I suppose I could put them in one of my FW Crayfish tank to see if they'd like a salty treat :lol: I am also debating whether or not I should try and keep them in a smaller tank.

In terms of removing them, what would happen if I immerse the LR in FW for a few hours? Would that drive out the crab, looking for a way to escape? Would it also damage other organisms/bacteria in the LR?

Thanks

In terms of removing them, what would happen if I immerse the LR in FW for a few hours? Would that drive out the crab, looking for a way to escape? Would it also damage other organisms/bacteria in the LR?

Thanks

Yes and yes.

The bit of dead fish in the tank corner at night is a great way to lure them out....you could even construct a simple crab-trap using a small-mouthed bottle.

You'd be surprised what kind of meals hitch hikers make.

Gotta remember that the nutritional supplementation is worth the extra $ and effort. Never mind the fact that these "pests" are put to good use.

(You can also think back to what those hermits cost you, then think what the alternative is)

Andy