new tank

steveo

Why did you change your filter?

If you'd like a great article on a fishless cycle, read this link and live it like law. http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=702

I tried this on a small test tank, and my tank was cycled in about 17 days.

-Hideo

To be honest I never cycle my tanks. I quadruple the dose of Cycle (I'm not really sure if that's necessary, but I do it anyway) and just throw the fish in. So far no problems. Although I've only done this with 2 20 gallon tanks.

Oh and I guess I do lots of water changes too while for the first few weeks. 3 a week seems to work well. I like it because I put in a little extra effort in the beginning, and enjoy my beautiful perfect fish tank right away. I'm the instant gratification type, so long as I can make it work for the long run too. ;)

Edited by windeindoiel

Thanks for that but i have some fish in there right now to cycle the tank.Is there anything i can do to speed up the process? How long does it take on average?

To speed it up you can add used gravel or filter media to the filter. Ask someone that has a tank up and running if you can take a cupful of gravel and put it in pantyhose and put that in the filter or a used filter sponge.

To cycle a tank using fish can take a month or 2. It will go much faster(and be safer for your fish) if you add the used media or gravel.

Just as a note, cycle is pretty much useless.

The best method is definately the fishless method, or using established filter media for an instant cycle.

-Hideo