MY PICTUS CATS REALLY SICK PLEASE HELP!!!

Jennifer9821

Ok here is what is wrong with him. He has frayed finz and half a tail. His wiskers are almost gone. he lacks some of his spotting. Has faint blood spots and lines in his fin areas on back. Not eating, swimming around still but kinda funny sparatic and fast like. Has I believe excessive slim coughting. I have treated him with Malafix and that didn't work know I am treating him with some parisite stuff from Jungle something or something jungle can't remember name but wal-mart carries it cuz that's where I got it. PLEASE he's one of my fav's I don't want to loose him If someone could please help me that'd be great.

Jenn

Sorry about your cat Jennifer :(

Without a picture it is really hard to diagnose... however it sounds like Septicemia to me which is probably a secondary infection to something else...

I know a lot of people swear by Mela-fix but IMO it just does not have the anti-biotic properties necessary to fix serious diseases... all I've found it is good for is to promote fin growth after a bout of fin rot. I would hesitate to just start throwing meds at him withot a proper diagnosis... you could be doing more harm than good, what makes you think it is parasitic in nature?

Having said that it does sound bacterial and if it was me I would use Jungle Fungus Eliminator, or Maracyn and Marcyn 2 in combo or Seachem's Kanaplex. Just my 2 cents though...

I thought maybe it might be pariasitic because I was looking if one of my desease books and it kinda looked similar to one of the discribtions in there. But I wasn't sure I will try to take a picture of him and post it. I do have Maracyn 2. I really wish the little guy wasn't sick, I really liked him he was so active in the take and such a little cutie:( I hope I can treat him with something that works and save him from doom before it's too late.

Thanks again Jennifer

First off Jenn; isolate the cat into a hospital tank [ if you have already not done so}.

Malafix is not appropreiate!!!!!!

Before I suggest it may be envioromental; from your description of the aliments.

There are so many other subjective sources.

Either way setup a hospital tank. Small is better. Clean water. No Feeding!. Correct temperture. Aireation.

W/c's every day. Observe his behaviour/ aliment.

The meds you suggested - are copper based. Copper kills fungus/bacteria. Cats can only handel 1/2 the reccommended dose rate. Important!

If it is a external problem - fungus/bacteria - simple salt [ non-iodized] can help. I do not like to recomend salt. as it is often over applied.

The best is clean and frequent W/C's. and a mild medicatiion. for external infections/illness.

Smokey

Keep us updated.

Hello Everyone

Smokey I didn't get your message until today. But the other day I started treat the little guy with maracyn 2 and today he's really purked up and is swimming around alot. I know your not suppose to feed but he was getting so skinny because he didn't eat for at least 2-3weeks that i was scared that he'd die from starvation, so I put a few pieces of flake food in and as soon as he seen it he eat it. So he must be feeling better plus he looks soo much better today and it's only his second treatment of 4 days. SO I am very happy looks like my little fellows going to make it after all:) He really had a will to live.

Thanks smokey for the good advice I am wondering if you ment maraycn 2 is bad for them as well? It seemed to work as for now. But let me know for next time thanks again :)

Jenn

Maraycn 2 - is a very good med. However some Catfish can only tolerate a 1/2 dose. Follow the instructiions carefully. and a W/C is advisable.

Malafix is not appropreiate> this is not really a medication. mpe/o.

I am glad the cat is recovering.

Food- try something a bit more approiate - froozen bloodworms, for eg. high quality sinking pellets. They like real food! :lol:

Some types of flake foods can cause intestinal blockage.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/pimel...elodu/276_f.php

Pimelodus pictus

Peruvian Amazon

Feeding- Unfussy omnivore. Fish will gorge themselves on live or froozen foods, be careful not to feed to much in one sitting! A pitcus cat can eat huge amounts of food, streching it's belly. They can live happily for up to a week on a good feast.! :wub:

Edited by Smokey