k9outfit's Tank and some fish

Molino

I meant to post these photos up a while ago. They were taken last month in advance of the Aquarium Beautiful Contest for the Aquarium Club of Edmonton. k9outfit's tank placed 4th in the contest! Great looking tank and some amazing fish!

Too bad I didn't come away with very many good shots.

IMG_3171-650w.jpg

IMG_3204-Front-650w.jpg

IMG_3202-650w.jpg

Good shots Nelson. I'm impressed with the full tank shot. It shows the fish very well and you managed to expose everything without blowing the substrate too much.

The fish shots are decent, if not a not a bit bland. Sharpness is also acceptable, though they both look a bit soft to my eyes. Did you apply some USM after resizing? You did blow the white on the vertical band of the Cyphotilapia and in the stripe on the dorsal of the Aulonocara though. If it’s any consolation I usually do the same when I try to shoot my own “sp north”. Best way to deal with it is to underexpose a third stop and bringing it back up in post.

I'd like to see a bit better control of the background elements. It may be a personal preference but I find the detail distracting, as it's neither uniform nor natural for these species. What did you shoot for these? f/14?

Also, I've found that 800 pixels wide is about the best width for posting pictures. That's what Ed has had as the standard on APF. You posting these over there as well? If not you ought to.

Thanks Sean, I was also very happy with how well the tank shot turned out.

As for the fish shots I don't think I applied USM after I re-sized them, I usually do but think I forgot to with these. Some good suggestions for future shots.

I shot these at F22, could have opened up the aperture a little more to blur the background. Or better yet I should have chosen a different area of the tank to shoot.

Nelson

I shot these at F22, could have opened up the aperture a little more to blur the background. Or better yet I should have chosen a different area of the tank to shoot.

That's overkill and a half! I typically would shoot f/11 to f/14 for fish this size. Remember the sharpness does drop off on most lenses as you stop down. It also allows you to rely a bit less on the flash, which is always a good thing.

I typically would shoot f/11 to f/14 for fish this size. Remember the sharpness does drop off on most lenses as you stop down. It also allows you to rely a bit less on the flash, which is always a good thing.

Good point, I always forget that optimum sharpness tends to drop off with the smaller apertures.

I think I shot the fish shots with the 50mm

That'd have been my choice as well. The way I work the glass I find my 105mm unwieldy for larger fish. I fear that I may end up investing in the Nikon 60mm macro just to have that sharpness available for larger aquatics.

This hobby is too damned expensive, especially if you’re as anal as I am.

Photography, fishkeeping or both? Just wait till you get into Saltwater

Both really, though my approach to the aquarium hobby doesn't work as well with photography! Saltwater is something I’ll inevitably get into, if not only for the invertebrates. To be honest while beautiful most of the fish don’t interest me.