feeding Otocinclus

nat

I have set up an aquarium recently and at the moment the only inhabitants there (except live plants) are japanese algae eating shrimp and Otocinclus. I had a little bit of algae growing on a driftwood, but in a couple of days they ate it all.

I decided that it is time to start feeding my fishies, but Ottos seem to be not interested in Algae tablets I bought for them. :unsure:

What should I do??? Will they starve? Should I buy other food, for example, flakes? Maybe a diffrent brand?

I will appreciate your experience!!!

• 2 months later...

They might have eaten some of the algea pellets, but due to theyre tiny size might not have been able to finish them, also im not totally sure but they might be nocturnal feeders, so if you popped the pellets in there in the day time they might not feed. Also try shrimp pellets, sinking cichlid bites (tiny little sinking pellets) and some greenery

I don't feed my algae eaters nothing. I have a large pleco, 4 octos, and a colony of algae eating shrimp, in a 48 gal bow front I have never feed them in 4 years, and they keep my tank immaculate...except a plastic log and even I can't scrape that off with a toothbrush :angry:

My $0.02

These fish can survive off left overs and what ever algea they can get, that in no way means you shouldnt feed them, cuz they need enough food just like any other fish does, i have a 6" common pleco in my 65g's and i still have to feed it, just because the tanks clear of algea doesnt mean thats all the food they need :(