First Time with Pro Skimmer

aquaexotica

So our 130 gal is finally set up for SW, and all the live rock is in. Just waiting for it to completely cycle as there was some die-off. Anyhoo, we have a protein skimmer on the tank now and with all the bubbles it puts out, the tank appears to be cloudy. However, if we turn it down to produce less bubbles it seems to not do its job of bubbling up into the canister to get the gunk off the surface of water. First question: Should the water appear cloudy with bubbles? Second question: Is the skimmer still doing its job when turned down, or just pushing the nasty water back into the tank??

We dont need a skimmer on the 65 gal FOWLR, so this is all new to us.

Help is greatly appreciated!

From what I have learned, (being new to the salt hobby) is that your skimmer should not put bubbles back into the tank, or not lots anyhow, and it may not produce gunk for the first few days/week until the tank has something to be skimmed

But I'll let a pro help...

Edited by Canadbis

I'm not a pro myself, but I did have a similar problem. Do you have baffles in your sump to trap any microbubbles before they reach the return pump? In my case I had to add a baffle to trap the bubbles, and the problem was gone.

The skimmer is not in the sump. The bubbles are entering the tank directly via the skimmer output. Maybe I just have crappy skimmers. We have 2 and we tried both....they do the same thing. One is the AquariumSystems Sea Clone 100 and the other is the AquaC Remora.

people generally regard the sea clone as junk but the Remoras are quite good. For the sea clone do a web search, there any many pages that detail modifications done to them by various people that might help you. The remora can take a bit of fiddling with to get it to settle down, it can also take some time before the skimmer "slimes up" and the bubles are reduced. If you continue to have problems after a few day I'd suggest contacting AquaC through thier web page, they have pretty good support.

How long has the remora been running? They'll usually take up to a week to "break in", and youll stop getting bubbles returning to the tank. Then you can start playing with the cup height

Don't know anything about the sea clone, sorry

As long as your getting gunk in the cups, they're doing their jobs. If you turn them down too low so the bubbles dont make it up the neck, then you might as well unplug em. But while they're breaking in, just run them normally. Just have to live with the bubbles for the time being :)

Thanks for the info guys!! The Remora seems to be not as bad as it was when we started. They have both been running for at least a week, and both are collecting scum sooooo..........I guess we'll just ride it out! I'll be sure to check out that web page Marella.

Thanks again!