help ram is bleeding

eurostar

hey today my ram got a large red blotch right above his stomach looks almost like hes bleeding inside or something. anyone know what this could be? can this problem/disease spread to other fish?

what causes this? i just got him yesterday with another one and the other gold ram is fine. i tested my water nitrate nitrite and amonia is all at 0.

This is a question/answer I found on this site. http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/Q&A/skin_disorders.html

Q: The fish has bloody patches on the skin as if it were sanded or scraped off.

A: Your fish are affected by a Costia infestation. (Ichthyobodo).

Treatment: Treat the fish with Acriflavine Neutral -or- Copper Sulfate.

HTH Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Furonculosis is what is the probable culprit. It is a bacterial infection. Use an antibiotic. I highly recomend Mardel Labs. marcyn-two. It targets the pathogenic bacilli and is easy on the benificial bacteria. FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER.

Before treating your fish and/or tank, keep this in mind: Is the fish worth treating? Timely treatment is a major part of the battle and if this fish has shown symptoms for more than a few days already, it might be better to put it out of it's misery. Only you cand decide as only you can see what the fish looks and acts like. There is also risk to the tank in whole, as the treatment can be stressing to both the biological system and healthy members of the tank.

Furonculosis is what is the probable culprit. It is a bacterial infection. Use an antibiotic. I highly recomend Mardel Labs. marcyn-two. It targets the pathogenic bacilli and is easy on the benificial bacteria. FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER.

Before treating your fish and/or tank, keep this in mind: Is the fish worth treating? Timely treatment is a major part of the battle and if this fish has shown symptoms for more than a few days already, it might be better to put it out of it's misery. Only you cand decide as only you can see what the fish looks and acts like. There is also risk to the tank in whole, as the treatment can be stressing to both the biological system and healthy members of the tank.

Oops, the correct spelling is Furunculosis, not Furonculosis

Oops, the correct spelling is Furunculosis, not Furonculosis

One last thing, keep an eye out for fungal infections as secondary infections are common in fish that are stressed with disease.