My fishies KNOW me!

wandj

As some may have noticed, I'm whittling down all my stock because I am working away.

My really great beau is sweet enough to feed the fish still here. All he has to do is follow the instuctions on all the sticky notes I left on the tanks so they are fed properly. Lucky for him, he doesn't have to do any maintenance because of the way my fish room is set up. (auto water changing)

I was only gone a few days and had to come home due to being rained out.

So I have been feeding and fussing over the fish for the last few days.

While in my fishroom, he had a question for me.

He says "I don't understand why this tank says to put in 8 large pellets".

Now, this tank is holding 4 female Bicolors because they just recently spit their fry out (that are in a different tank) and I am letting them fatten up and recover before I end up taking them to Big Als.

I didn't know what he was talking about, thinking he did not know where the large-pellet food was.

So I showed him how it was done. I took the can and poured out about 8 pellets. Tossed them in.

The girls came rushing out and ate them up like they usually do......at least when I'm around.

He said, "they never came out like that when I put food in the tank. I didn't think there was anything in there".

I understood now what he was talking about. My girls didn't know him so would hide when he came into the room, yet they rub the front of the glass when I'm in there.

Isn't that a tidbit of proof that fishies (especially Cichlids) know their owners? Makes me feel kinda special that my girls are happy to see me and run from strangers.

Yep, my fish do that too. My africans never hide when i come into the room and swarm up to the top of the tank when i walk near the tank. But if friends or my family walk into the room they instantly all hide in the rocks. Not the best when you are trying to show your tanks to people :lol:

That's very warm and fuzzy and reminds me of my bitterness...lol. We, meaning my 12 year old and I do the work, have an Electric Yellow Lab named "Zap" <Get it? Electric? Zap? lol Such a creative child>. We have had her for years, yet when I approach she zips into the cave. I do her water changes, I feed her most of the time, yet she runs like I take a stick to her every other day. My morning look isn't THAT bad!

Then approaches the 12 year old, and starts with the baby voice "Hello Zap... wanna pellet?" Out she comes, bold as you please, up to the surface to practically take it from his hand. Then they chat and he'll ask her questions, she swims back and forth for no and up and down for yes, unknown to her of course (I think) but it amuses him. I've tried doing the same coaxing and she just glares accusingly from her cave. Dumb fish...lol.

Cute story though :D , I WISH I HAD NICE FISH LIKE YOURS <glaring at Zap's tank>.