The Plans on for my plywood tank

Spinalcore

That is probably the first complete drawing and text I have seen on any of the sites. I have some experience using epoxies (built several cedar strip & stitch and glue boats) and have done some research in repsects to its use. I have some tips if you are interested.

I am debating about wether I Should do a plexi-glass interior or real thin Glass interior instead of using the epoxy on the interior at the moment. I am hoping to start building the first one over the next couple of monthe for a winter project. I need to try to keep extremely busy right now to keep my mind off of some personal problems and am trying to avoid the things that I used to do when I was having some serious problems that I couldn't solve. Any Ideas on various different aquarium equipment projects that shouldn't cost too much to assemble are welcome. I am looking to get a bunch of glass to build a few aquariums most of which will probably be sold for a minimal cost just to cover the materials.

The strongest finish for the inside of your tank will be a epoxy/glass laminate such as use on white water kayaks and canoes. Epoxy by itself while it will seal the wood is not particularly strong on it,s own, when used with glass it becomes VERY tough. The brand that has the best reputation is West Systems Epoxy. Use the 105 resin and the 207 hardener for potable water applications. Epoxy paint is a finish and has even less strenght and should only be used as a finish. Boat Craft in Edmonton (780-433-4373) has everything you will need. You can get West Systems how-to manuel from them as well.Ask if they have a stitch and glue handout, it will explain corners and fillets.

Laying up epoxy is not hard to do but you should practice first so that you have the technique down pat. If you epoxy/glass your tank and use fillets in the corners it will probably be 2 or 3 times as strong as glue and screws alone.In fact you could probably jump on it. You can also add color to the epoxy when you mix it, tempura powder paint works well. If you would like to know more let me know.

RJ.

PS. epoxy is not cheap but will last for years and if done right , no floods.

• 2 weeks later...

airco02 - you are refering to fiberglass; correct[??].

Spinalcore_ I do not recomend using thin "window" glass/ sheet glass.

A true story:

A fellow, I met at an A.C.E. meeting, in Edmonton, had built a wooden tank, using 4x4 stacked timbers, covered with 3/8" plywood, and then lined/siliconed the inside with window glass; 6 mil.

While the tank was being filled _ the glass cracked.

Apparently, the water pressure was enough to stress the whole unit and caused the glass to crack.

In hindsite he had built a very large expensive [ he had spent $1000.00 ) garbage can.. his words... :angry:

As airco02 has mentioned, and many others have had excellant results, the use of fiber glass has been proven successful.

To use a plex-glass lined interior_ 4 or 5 mil thickness would be necessary minimum.

To build a 260 gallon tank takes time. and like you have said, Spinalcore; you want to do it right _ the first time. :smokey: :smokey:

keep us updated, :thumbs:

Smokey

B)

Yes, fiberglass is correct. You will probably want to use 4 or 6 oz. cloth.

If you haven,t used it before it may be worth your while to get West systems manual ( it used to be free) or go to Boat Craft in Edmonton and talk to the owner,

(Ben or Ken?) they are a very helpful bunch there. An email to West Systems will also produce results. You can also email me if you like.

Best of luck.

Basically, the plywood and the glass have different levels of "give"; therefore, the glass may be aligned with the wood when empty, but becomes misaligned while filling under pressure - and cracks.

I would strongly advise against it....but Oxquo had some plywoods that I don't think were lined inside. I forget what he used, but maybe you can PM him a question....

• 4 weeks later...