Feather rock?

my friend just went to Calgary last weekend, and returned with a nice gift for me..........a huge chunk of feather rock! (and an 18 inch lightstrip, thanks, Devon!)

Is it safe for my cichlid tank? I know how to disinfect it and make it water safe, but I don't know if it affects ph or anything.

any help would be appreciated :)

I use it all the time. Sure saves on the overall weight load plus you can carve it into whatever shape you want.

Here is what I do to prep since it can be very difficult to make it sink:

Bake it at 400F for at least an hour to sterilize and prep for making it sink.

Have a large tub of water standing by outside.

Toss the hot rock in the water.

Hold it under the water as it cools and some water will be sucked into the inner pores.

Voila, sinking feather rock.

===

I suggest you use a wood rasp to take off the sharpest edges before use in the tank.

HTH,

David

I bought a few pieces to use a while back. I eventually decided against using them because I was afraid of the cichlids cutting themselves while chasing around the rocks and trying to hide etc. I don't really know if that was a valid concern or not tho. I do know it did a number on my hands while I was carving out caves in the rock.