Hard White Dots on glass.

So, I've got these small hard white dots on the inside of my aquarium on the glass. About the size of a betta pellet, and they're nothing I've ever seen before.

A google search turns up only information on saltwater, but this is a freshwater tank. There are not tons and tons, maybe 12-15 on the front of the glass of a 55 gallon. There is only 1 tank inhabitant, and no snails at all.

Any idea what they could be? I also have some in a 6g female betta tank.

I thought they might be eggs, but the fish in the 55 is a male.

-Hideo

calcium deposits? all i've got.

i've thought it can be kinda common with fw tanks. seen it on a couple donated filters and tanks given to me in the past but it's usually to the point where it's almost a chalk coating rather than little hard white dots.

vinegar+water+elbow grease will get rid of it, if i'm even close lol

hey where's those photo skills mp?

There are freshwater crustaceans that fit the bill somewhat, but usually they're green (apparently that's actually what the hard spot algae often is - algae covered crustaceans. Don't ask me where I read that). If that's the case, they should be hard to remove.

However, since they've shown up in two tanks, I'd go with the freshwater Limpet theory. Do you have live plants? They hitchhike. Don't expect to see them moving. They don't bother with plants much but they do eat algae.

This site shows some decent magnified photos:

http://members.aol.com/mkohl2/Fwlimpets.html

More here:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site.../Ancylidae.html

They seem to be showing up in aquariums lately. I just recently had a local report of them. I hear about them more in Summer so it may be related to pond season / pond plants.

my nerite (zebra) snails lay eggs on the glass that look like tiny hard white dots, like white sesame seeds or something almost, and are friggin impossible to get off the glass lol. They never hatch because the salinity of the water isn't right (I have them in FW).

But then reading over your post you said there's no snails in the tank so I really have no clue o.O Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents I guess lol :P

Following up on Guppylove's comments I also have many white spots on my aquarium glass and on the driftwood. There are probably hundreds of them all over the place. They are hard but can be crushed if enough pressure is applied. I have often suspected that they were eggs laid by the two "Zebra" snails that I purchased from Big Al's. After Reading Guppylove's comments I did some quick research on Nerite "Zebra" snails and found a picture of the egg capsules that look identical to my white spots. The link below has the picture.

Snail Eggs

Could it be that there are sanils in the tank brought in with plants that you have not yet found?

I have often suspected that they were eggs laid by the two "Zebra" snails .

Snail Eggs

I have had zebra nerites for a while and occasionally have the same white dots. I believe they are nerite eggs, however none have ever hatched in my tank as far as I know.

Grumpy

I have had zebra nerites for a while and occasionally have the same white dots. I believe they are nerite eggs, however none have ever hatched in my tank as far as I know.

Grumpy

Nerites aren't your average hitchhiker, unless you're very lucky. The young require brackish conditions to thrive, or so it is assumed. However, there's a bit more to it than that because many breeders have tried to transfer them, etc without success (to my knowledge). Many Nerite species don't seem to be fully freshwater snails anyway. There are many reports of them leaving the water and having to have the salinity increased, for example.

Anyways, if there were Nerites in the tank, I'd say that was a very good guess :) .

I think it probably is nerite eggs, I had a single nerite in the tank about 2 months ago, however. The second tank I have that also has them also has the eggs, and there IS a nerite in there. I just never thought about eggs. Too bad they can't be hatched in captivity :-/

-Hideo