Finally bought some crayfish

joeysgreen

They were sooo neat in there territorial disputes at Big Al's in Edmonton. I bought 5, hoping for a mix of males and females. I threw in a bunch of different sized rocks, created caves and cover, tossed in a big plastic plant and filled it 3/4's with water. They look happy and healthy with the exception of one which died the first night. (I sure hope they don't look dead when preparing to shed... ).

The petstore said they ate pretty much anything, but I bought some frozen mysis shrimp until they became accustomed to the trout chow that I have for them.

Do they need anything else? A water bubbler to oxygenate the water? A filter or water changes? Do they eat live plants?

I guess the big question is if any of you know of a care sheet I can whip off the printer for these guys.

Thanks a bunch :)

Ian

Based on my cray (who I have had for 9 months and is now 7 inches nose-to-tail) they will eat anything you put in there, from the smallest fish you think is too fast, to a fish you think is way too big. They eat pellets, plants, snails (shells, too) and they'll gnaw on driftwood.

Like anything that lives in water: filtered, clean water is better than anything, but an airstone should be the minimum. Remember you cannot put a pleco in there with them (mine took out a 4" pleco in a day and left nothing but the skull cap) so the cleaner the water the less algae you'll have as they will destroy any live plants.

I hope you've got a big footprint on that tank... they grow FAST and will need room to move.

and they'll gnaw on driftwood.

Agree with Tanker, they'll eat just about anything. Mine also gnaws on driftwood. Looks a little strange with all the "teeth" marks on it. It's also taken to trying to eat the fake pink plastic plant of all things :lol: I don't think they are too picky. For actual food I feed mostly NLS wafers.

I agree with everything said so far. I have a blue cray in a 15g and he has grow pretty quickly and will eat anything. HE has chewed my driftwood in half he eats so much wood. MIne also eats anything I throw in there. He's eaten tankmates, frozen foods, fresh veggies, plants, but I mostly feed NLS waffers and sometimes pellets.

How big is your tank? I"ve never kept them in groups but from what i've read they can be very territorial and kill eachother off. You might need a pretty big tank to keep them all.

AS for filtration, I agree with Tanker. Just like a fish tank it needs filtration and clean water. Crafish tanks dont' need to have a lowered water level. BUt if you want yours to have a lowered level I'd suggest an airstone at a minimum or better yet a sponge or internal filter. With that maybe crays you'll also need to make sure the water is nice and clean.

What kind of crays did you buy?

Good luck with your new crew :thumbs:

I wish I knew what kind of crayfish I bought, the store just called them ordinary crayfish. When asked for a latin name to ensure any future purchases were the same species, they just assured me that it's always the same species. (unless of course labeled something special like bluecrayfish)

My tank is about 3-1/2 feet long by 1 foot, by 18 inches high. I don't know gallon measurements. The water is about 12 inches deep, and they have used the uncovered peaks, half in and half out of the water.

If they all grow to size, I realize I'll have to get a larger cage, but my intents are for them to breed so I can add variety to my turtles diet. Don't get me wrong though, they themselves are very interesting pets. So far they don't seem to stress each other out too much. They all have their favorite space in the tank.

I have an air pump I'll throw in tonight, and am looking for a filter as well but that might be a week or two away still.

Ian