More powerful lights ...

Aaron

I use the Glo series from Hagen. The lifeglo bulb is excellent. But if I had to buy them at retail prices, I would not get them. I find that the Sun-glo bulb is just about the same and alot cheaper. The rason that Life-Glo is so expensive (around $55 to $65 for a 42" bulb) is that they have a built in reflector which increases the intensity of the light being emitted for the same amount of power consumed. Here is a useful link: Hagen Glo series and click on the PDF link at the bottom of the page. Just ignore the brand names and it has lots of useful information as Hagen has put alot of research into their bulbs. Regardless of brand, remeber to change the bulbs about every 9 months, depending on daily useage, as the broad spectrum coatings break down and bulb intensity also diminishes.

I personally try to get 4 to 5 watts per gallon with plants in the tank. Also, because you are increasing the light intensity, you should stagger changing the bulbs by one to two weeks as it helps the fish adjust easier to the increase. Just imagine if you were in a thick jungle for months on end and poof!....you are in the middle of the Sahara dessert without any sunglasses. You would probably first suffer a severe migraine and that would be just the start. While that would not kill you, it is not very pleasant just the same and we have eyelids!

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

I have a 65 gallon tank, with a DIY CO2, and dual 42" LIFE-GLO 2 bulbs, the water is about 74* F, but the plants do not seem to really do anything, granted - they have only been in there for maybe 2 weeks.

Is this good enough? Or at least, adequate to keep them alive for a few months until I can really get something good?

What you are using should be adequate. The watts per gallon should only be an estimate as it is not too accurate as far as actually calculating and exact formula as there are too many variables to consider for an accurate formula. Just make sure that if you use a glass protector (sliding glass top or glass lens) to keep it clean. If you have your bulbs exposed to the tank directly, then wipe off the bulbs every week with a vinegar and water solution. Try and experiment by changing one bulb to a sun-glo. You might be surprised by the results!