Help, Gourami with suspected bloat

Chopperman

Hi, I have a dwarf flame gourami that is about 2 inches long and lately I have noticed him sitting on the bottom of my aquarium and occasionly going up for air but then he just sinks to the bottom hitting the rocks i have. Ive noticed his stomach quite enlarged and not very symmetrical. His swimming is awkward to. Ive noticed to red spots by the fins on his sides like a scale missing. I'm assuming there may be a parasite or a fungus. Is there a treatment for this? He is also in my community tank :S should I worry about other tankmates?

Just fyi - in my experience if you have a swollen fish and suspect bloat or dropsy, the last thing you want to do is add aquarium salt, as the fish is having trouble with fluid buildup in the first place, and I forget the "scientific terminology" but the aquarium salt will make them retain more water.

Quaranting the fish and trying an epsom salt treatment may help, as it affects the fish's osmotic balance in the opposite way as aquarium salt does, by drawing the excess fluid out (I think, it's been a while - someone correct me if I'm wrong here!) You don't use the same amount as you would with aquarium salt, you use far far less.

The epsom salt treatment doesn't always work, but it's a handy thing to know about, also good if you have a constipated fish and peas aren't helping, or a very eggbound female.

Epsom Salts Dosage

Epsoms salt is useful as a laxative for constipated fish and is often suggested for bloated/dropsied fish or fish with any kinds of fluid build up problems.

Doseage is 1/4 teaspoon (US) per 10 US gallons.

If this is going to be successful you should see reduction in swelling within the first few days so treatment really only needs to be done once.

It doesn't work in many instances but it is a safe treatment that is always worth a try.

-from www.goldfishparadise.com

Sorry to hear about your fish hon! *hugs*