feather stone as filter media

ABwildrose

I was planning to use featherstone for caves at one point in time. I changed my mind because it is so sharp and am now trying to think of another use for it. I broke some up into chunks a little bigger than the biomax stuff I have in my canister filters. Would this work in a similar way as the biomax? The featherstone is very porous with lots of surface area for the good bacteria to colonize on. My questions are:

How would this affect the water, pH etc ?

Is there a chance this rock would kind of dissolve in the water (with the water rushing past it all the time in the filter) and be dispersed into the tank. Possibly causing minute particles that can injure the fish's gills?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

As long as you rinsed it very well before you put it in the tank I doubt it will have any adverse effects as per what you have mentioned....I do see that it would be suited for biological media though, being pourous and all....still, I do not know what rate it would dissolve at, so I can't say that it would affect the hardness of the water. Have you thought of maybe just buying some aragonite as substrate? That should do you just fine. :)

actually, my water seems ok the way it is...I am more worried about adding something that is detrimental to the water parameters I want. Next time I set up my tank or change it I am going to look into a more appropriate substrate (like aragonite)...just in case.

I am mainly too cheap...and want to find something to do with all that feather rock I bought. I have a pile of it...plus the sandstone I insisted on getting....sitting in our yard.