co2 redsea tester

Baos

I just bought my first co2 test kit from Big Als. It's labeled CO2 Indicator by Red Sea. it permanently stays in the aquarium (or at least 30 day intervals).

So I take the 1ml of water, I drop 2 of the test solution in it. It says it should be one of the colors on the indicator blue, green, or yellow. Well, it starts out orange. after 10 min in the tank it is yellow. I'm pretty sure this isn't accurate since I'm not yet injecting any co2. The tank probably has a bit of decaying plant matter. It's also discus water, soft, acidic, and 80 degrees.

The CO2 test uses Bromothymol Blue pH indicator solution (used in many freshwater low range test kits including API's) to show when the liquid's pH changes due to CO2. You should be using a 4dKH solution made with baking soda and distilled water plus the indicator fluid. Using aquarium water in it doesn't display the true CO2 level in the aquarium because of other buffers being present and the results are skewed.

I know that the directions say to use aquarium water, but they are wrong.

you can find the directions for making the 4dKh solution here

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-...andard-how.html

or buy some here:

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-drop-checkers.html

You also can use more than 1 drop of indicator solution... The more drops, the better the colors :)

My attempt to make a 4dkh solution utilizing nutrafin's kh/gh checker failed. I dropped until 70ppm. With co2 bubbled under my indicator it only turns turquoise. I also don't have a scale to weigh baking soda so the first link isn't very helpful. The second link to purchase the item.. it only has an option to ship to united states even though it says postal code is 'ok'. So, anyone know where I can buy 4 degrees alkalinity locally? Or maybe I should be looking at a better test kit. And of course due to a rare ph down that I use, my kh tests as non-existent but the water is stable.

Edited by Baos

Yes, the 4dkH solution is tough to make without a centigram scale. It is also very hard the measure the water accurately as well. I have some I made and it seems to test close to 4 dkH. The link to Greenleaf aquariums is good. Just send an email to them with what you want and where to ship to. My order came though very quick and even the delicate glass drop checker made the trip :) You might want to ship via United States Post Office (USPS) not United Parcel Service (UPS) to save money crossing the border. I could not find any 4 dkH solution anywhere but the USA. One complaint is the bottle is very small.

I have never had any problems with my CO2 tester, and it is the same type of thing, just don't remember the brand of it lol. It usually is blue when there is just enough CO2, yellow when there is too little CO2, and green when there is too much CO2. So if you have not added any CO2 to the tank yet, the yellow coloring is normal and is actually a good sign that your fish have plenty of oxygen. To me if you are using a pressurized CO2 system, CO2 testers are much more important than if you are going with the yeast method.

I have never had any problems with my CO2 tester, and it is the same type of thing, just don't remember the brand of it lol. It usually is blue when there is just enough CO2, yellow when there is too little CO2, and green when there is too much CO2. So if you have not added any CO2 to the tank yet, the yellow coloring is normal and is actually a good sign that your fish have plenty of oxygen. To me if you are using a pressurized CO2 system, CO2 testers are much more important than if you are going with the yeast method.

The instructions state

Green: Optimum level of CO2

Yellow: Too high level of CO2

Blue: Insufficient level of CO2

Edited by Baos