I got Neon Green Puffers!

Qattarra

Well I saw these two at the Grove pet shop and couldn't resist. The store sign read "neon green puffer". It very much looks like Xenopterus Naritus (bronze puffer) in the light neon green color. It has a tall (broad) but not long tail. I bought them and brought them home.

I understand they need to be in their own tank, done that, they need to keep their teeth in check with crustasans, got snails.

Do they need salt? How much? What size tank will be suitable for the 2 of them?

What else? I want to provide an excellent home for them. They are beautiful and I'll try to take a pic or two tomorow. Thanks everyone, I know you'll give me the scoop.

Edited by Qattarra

SOURCE: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php...ter/A_Modestus/

Auriglobus modestus

Common Name: Bronze Puffer

Other Common Names: Golden Puffer

Family: Tetraodontidae

Distribution: S.E. Asia - Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam. Major rivers such as the Mekong

Water Parameters: Temp: 23 - 26C (74 - 80F); pH:6.0 - 7.8

Personality/Temperament: Agressive; Hunts and searches for food.

Max. Size: ~4 inches (10.6cm)

Estimated Lifespan: At least ten years

Sexual Dimorphism: Unknown. Cannot tell genders apart by eye.

Diet: Live and frozen foods (not fish), snails, freeze-dried krill, frozen shrimp, bloodworms- live or frozen, ghost shrimp (gut-loaded), and other molluscs and crustaceans. These puffers must be fed a daily diet of snails to prevent beak overgrowth

Care: Pufferfish are extremly sensitive to nitrites and ammonia and should only be introduced into a fully cycled aquarium. Due to their messy eating habits, overfiltration is recommended.

Breeding: We have not found any record of this Auriglobus Modestus having bred in captivity. Maybe yours will be the first?

Minimum Tank Size: 20g(US)

Links to Other Resources: Fishbase profile for Auriglobus Modestus

Edited by fatpuffer

The a. modestus and Xenopterus naritus are very similar looking except the x. naritus grows much bigger. It is hard to distinguish which is what until the puff reach over 5 inches and then you know it is the other one.

However, a. modestus is the more common ones in the trade.

Js