Beginner plants

WaterLogged

I am not sure if this is the right place for this post, so you guys can move it if you like. Before going crazy on my empty 90 gal. I want to see if live plants is the right road for me. I currently also have a 30 gal with community fish in it set up at home. I would like to try to put in some easy, low light plants. If anyone has some I could take, or has suggestions as to what to buy that would be great. The substrate in that tank is just 1/4" sized gravel and is about 3-4" deep. The tank has been set up for about a year now so the gravel is established. I do have a mono inhabiting the tank right now, not sure if he would eat the plants or not. I had the mono in my salt tank to start andthen moved him and acclimated slowly and now he is in the fresh tank. My lighting is not all that greaet. 1 watt/ gal. So any suggestions for fauna would be great.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by WaterLogged

Plants that would grow well (albeit slowly) in that environment are:

Java Fern

Java Moss

Anubias barteri (and variants)

A. nana (and variants)

Bolbitus

- None of these plants should be actually planted. You can burry their roots, but leave the 'stem' completely above the gravel. They all do well attached to larger rocks or driftwood.

Other palnts that will do well:

Cryptocoryne spp

Other plants that will do OK:

Amazon Sword (Echinodorus amizonica)

Giant Val (Valisneria americana)

Tiger Lotus (Nymphea spp)

Hygrophila polysperma

H. corymbosa

H. difformis

You can also try other plants. They won't grow terribly fast, but should be OK.

As for the Mono... I think you kinda went backwards with it. They tend to start their lives in fresh water, then move to increasingly salty water as they mature. If it's a little guy, then you might be OK, but if he's gettign to the 3" mark, you should probably put him back in your SW tank (slowly aclimated, right?).

Thanks for all that info :) that is great. The mono is pretty big maybe not 3" yet but close too. I'll try some plants and see how he does with them. The salt water tank is being torn down, and thats where the new planted tank will be. So I have no other place to put him. Anyways thanks for the info and I'll keep in touch!!

Mark