zero water changes?

johnsmith

The Tunze filters are very small, very inexpensive to run and like all the made in Germany equipment, they cost next to nothing to maintain. They are (5"Lx5"Hx14"H modular filters that hang on the back of the tank and inter-connect to each other. The water is mechanically filtered then biologically filtered, then the water is passed through an absorption denitrator, where the free nitrogen is permeated into the soil of the compartments holding the terrestrial plants. The terrestrial plants are such that thrive without direct sunlight. I am setting up a Tunze System here in Calgary. They are very beautiful as the top back of the tank is lush with tropical terrestrial plants.

Come to think of it, Sera also makes a denitrator filter that is designed to vastly reduce water changes. I think Michael has one, I soul grab it and see how well it works, as it too is made in Germany. I pretty sure everyone knows that the Germans are fifteen to twenty years more advanced then us humble North Americans when it comes many things, including the Aquarium Sciences.

I apologize for being so rude earlier in this thread.

Will

PS: The Tunzie filters are so simple in design, I think they could be duplicated with mason jars.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty sure everyone knows that the Germans are fifteen to twenty years more advanced then us humble North Americans when it comes many things, including the Aquarium Sciences.

So how's that German-made shrine to Germany coming along? Has it been shipped from Germany to this backwater land yet?

If you are referring to the Tunze plant filters that are currently available, I am quite familiar with them, but they work only marginally well, and only for a very small bio-load.

I've heard other wise, but thanks for your input.

Really, it only follows logic if you are familiar with the capabilities of the size of the miniature wetland (for that is what is is to a degree) involved, even with an excellent choice of plants. Far from new rechnology, though...this is a concept that has been in use for a century.

If you are referring to the Tunze plant filters that are currently available, I am quite familiar with them, but they work only marginally well, and only for a very small bio-load.

I've heard other wise, but thanks for your input.

Really, it only follows logic if you are familiar with the capabilities of the size of the miniature wetland (for that is what is is to a degree) involved, even with an excellent choice of plants. Far from new rechnology, though...this is a concept that has been in use for a century.

OK, great, thanks for the info.

Ahh you were talking about the bio/hydro reactor thing, I didn't want to reply earlier because I wasn't sure and I'm not familiar with the literature you were talking about.

It seems like an interesting idea but it's not exactly revolutionary. Hydroponic veggie filters are a old trick, like 20 years old. The new principle applied here is twofold, the media creating an anaerobic root zone and the reactor concentrating the stuff you want to uptake in that zone. I question the effectiveness of this anaerobic zone as I can't see how it can be anaerobic and still maintain the flow that you need to provide decent filtration for a 50 or so gallon tank. If we surmise that it uses a comparatively low flow rate in order to preserve the anaerobic quality then I don't see how it will effectively concentrate the mulm and such that we want the roots to take up.

So it summary, it's cute but I don't see it being a lot more effective than using floating plants for the same purpose or just sticking a pothos stem in the sponge on an Aquaclear.

I don't really get the aversion to water changes anyway. I setup one of my puffer tanks low tech with sponge filters and floating plants about a year ago. In spite of the massive fish load I have never been able to detect nitrate in the the water. I still do water changes though as the fish seem to be more active (for lurker puffer species) and happier with fresh water. For most people it's worth it to invest in a python style device, I can do a 50% change on that tank in all of 10 minutes.

Edited by midgetwaiter

I don't really get the aversion to water changes anyway.

Not that any remembers my initial question :P but I asked about the water changes just because this tank's at work I thought if I can get away without them then I will.

In your case that is understandable. I prefer water changes but I have seen plenty of examples where they have not been done so it will probably work out for you.

I don't really get the aversion to water changes anyway.

Not that any remembers my initial question :P but I asked about the water changes just because this tank's at work I thought if I can get away without them then I will.

john- All though I have responed poorly to the aversion toward my recommending to You a read, and yes I did loose focus to Your initial question, my first post had no ill intention, and I gave my opinion on the subject, but also followed through with a source of information that contradicted my opinion.

Anyways john, I just wanted to help.

Will