Tanganyikans in Demand

Cap'n

In a previous discussion about N. buescheri it was stated by an experienced retailer (Albert) and aquarist (Rahim) that the fish in question was barely worth breeding considering its low demand in the marketplace.

What are some examples of tanganyikan cichlids that would be considered valuable breeders?

For a long time, Frontosa were one of those cichlids as they were found at deeper depths in the lake and were harder to catch.

the Zaire, Moba and Kitumba Frontosa are still pretty high in demand.

Tanganiykans for the most part don't have as much demand as thier colors are not as vivid as cichlids from Malawi and they are also harder to breed. They are more likely to hide then display their colors and therefore not a first choice to begin with.

Lately though as the hobbyists mature and thier tastes change, we are see more and more people ventureing into tangs for thier unique behaivior rather then thier color.

At the moment there seems to be a shortage of some of the cyps as well as some the comps and calvus as very few retailer are bringing them in.

I hope that kinda answers your question.....

I agree with Rahim. Cyp's are definitely the trend for "demand". I'll use that term loosely though. One thing you have to consider is that while people may express a high interest in an animal, for most, that is all it's ever going to be: an interest. The price of these animals (we're talking wild caughts since no one seems to be breeding them ATM in Alberta) is barely justifyable to most hobbyist.

That being said, it would be great if someone out there took it upon themselves to make an investment into a group of cyps with the intentions of breeding them to lower the cost of the species, giving it a wider appeal to more hobbyist. Dennis did this eight years ago with frontosa and it's a damn good thing he did. Do we all dishing out $26.00 a pop at Pisces and Riverfront for 2" Burundi's or $55 for 1.5" seven-stripes? I sure do.