new worlds worth breeding?

cichlidkid

are there any new worlds that are worth breeding (somethings sall like 8" or less) also how much do you think I could make off a nice pair of jewels that I have (really nice ones)

Y'know... We often see young'uns with dreams of making their future living breeding fish on the forums. Sad truth is, 99% of the time 'small scale' breeding operations are at best a break even operation.

If you sit down and work it out, what you're paying for power, water (and sewer), foods, the occasional meds, and other costs of doing buisness - you're really not going to make much if anything.

And just because you have a nice pair - doesn't mean you'll get viable fish from them. Genetics are funny that way - sometimes two nice fish, just can't be bred without high mortality or genetic problems. Sometimes there's just no obvious reasons for it - the pairs genetics just 'dont get along'.

Andy

well I already have a breeding jewel pair.

there are some fish I was going to get anyway and was just wonderng if it would be worth while to get a pair, you know just so I can feel better about the money consumption

I have to agree that breeding fish for the most part is a labour of love. If you want to make a living out of it, you have to know your market and breed species accordingly. Here in Toronto, I can guarantee that angelfish and guppies will sell like hot cakes in the LFS. For the more advanced breeder, cardinals and rummynose will sell very well. Apistos are more of a niche market due to the end buyer cost.

My recommendatio...breed what you want to keep for yourself. Like yourself, there are always people out there that want what you have to sell and this forum as well as great LSF's and the CAS and TFBA auctions held, there is plenty of venues to sell.

But, don't go nuts breed jaguar cichlids and convicts!!!!

What fish do you and are considering getting?????

My recomendation is to breed what i call everyone fish and one or 2 rarer fish.

Like breed guppies, angels, and popular african then a rarer species like Calvus cichlids, dicus or something else not alot of people have or try to breed. This way you have fish that you are gaurenteed to sell and some that are worth alot bu not alot of people are looking for mainly the specialty hobbiest.