Ruby Red Peacock

ace99

I was at Golds the other day and found out that their breeder ruby red male was recently sold. Who is this lucky guy / girl ? :)

I'm a little sad because every time I visit Golds, I have always stopped to admire the beauty of this fish. Its rare to find a ruby red of this quality since most are orange at best....even with a good quality fish food.

Since there is so much variability out there it would be fun for ruby red owners to showcase their fish to see how each one compares to each other. The picture below is the one from Golds. I'll post my newly aquired albino ruby red in a few days.

18poesiedonoy1.jpg

Edited by ace99

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up this male ruby red at Golds the other day. He was pretty beat-up and contantly harassed by the other fish.....but I saw potential in him. He has a deep orange / red coloration in the shoulders which I hope will extend down the full length of the body.

He is now in a breeding tank with some females along with some sub-dominant smaller males. I'm feeding him NLS and Cyclop-eeze. This way, I hope that he will color up nicely. It would be interesting to see how he develops over time. If people are interested, I can post updated pictures every month.

I do have a question. I notice that he has a very dark grey-brown base color....darker than any aulonocara species that I've kept before. How would this eventually affect the overall color as he develops? Will the red appear more red or will the darker base color make the red not show up as well? We will soon find out I suppose.

rubyred1dec2006is6.jpg

Edited by ace99

• 2 weeks later...

Update #1

The ruby red is starting to show more red down the tail and more blue on the face. He spends the whole day chasing the females around in the tank. He's definately acting like he's the alpha male. I'm surprised with how fast he's starting to color up. :thumbs:

_DSC5136B.jpg