Conflicting Advice - Will my Tank Cycle?

Pier Pressure

Good morning. Some of you already know that I bought a 26 gallon saltwater aquarium a couple of weeks ago that contained approximately 5 pounds of live rock. Since that time I have added another 5 pounds of rock that I got from an LFS that had been curing for months.

Last night, I managed to score another 17 pounds on canreef, together with a bit more live sand, and was informed that the rock was from an established tank that has been up and running for years so I could add all of the live rock at once and if anything it would improve my water quality.

Since that time I have received another opinion that my tank will probably go through a bit of a cycle because I added so much rock at once.

Can somebody clear this up for me? Will the tank cycle or not? And if so should I start doing daily water changes when I get home tonight? I already have livestock and invertebraes in there so I really need to keep the water quality close to perfect.

Thank you for any knowledgable responses, or even not-so-knowledgable ones :D .

Well I'm assuming salt water works much the same as freshwater in this respect, so putting in the established rock should really help along the cycle. It might might go through a little cycle if you have more fish and stuff than the bacteria can handle, but I would think you'd be ok. This is providing salt and fresh water work the same. Test your water, if ammonia or nitrite is readable, it's still cycling, if they're zero and there's some nitrate, it's finished cycling.

So long as the rock is cured you should experience little for ammonia/nitrite spikes. You might get a little as moveing the rock always causes it some stress and die-off, but nothing to worry about.

Thanks, little sea. I have been sitting here at work squirming all day wondering what is going on in that salt tank. Hey - I note you are Elite Aquatics, Colby.

Once I get this tank running right I shall head in to pick up some more livestock from you. You have a great selection of salty creatures! Have a good one!

Karen

IT'S ALIVE!!! Everything and everyone looks good except for the anemone, who is hiding squished up between a couple of rocks and only extending a few of his feeder tubes. I hear they are pretty tempermental so I shall just keep an eye on him. I did not run water tests tonight as everyone looks great. By the way - I seem to have this weird stuff growing out of the new live rock. It is like green jelly bubbles coming out of the pores. I am hopeful that is a good thing...?

This salt thing has GOT to be the absolute coolest hobby EVER!!!

Yes, sort of but really small. About the size of a plastic pin head on a pin. Dark green in colour and they seem to grow in clusters. I cannot wait until I get a digital camera as there seems to be LOTS of strange little growths on the rocks I just put in. The green jelly drop "thingys" are definitely the most prominent thing so far.

No wonder my emerald crab looked so very busy last night! Leave it to my new tank to come up with a form of algae I have not heard of yet. I have an emerald crab, feeder shrimp, a candycane shrimp, hermit crabs and snails in there. I am hoping that somebody likes the taste of that stuff.

SALTWATER RULES! Even the algae looks awesome!