Eheim worth it?

Golfnut

Hi all,

I was thinking about getting an Eheim. Pisces has a 2215 on sale right now for $149.

I can also get access to a used Eheim 2229 wet/dry unit for $200. But I read this filter is only for bio filtering only. Not mechanical filtration.

I've read the reviews of these and they're mostly good. I wanted to hear from anyone on this forum to see what their experience is with these filters.

The filter would be an updgrade to my Fluval 403 that is currently filtering my 77 gallon with 12 gold fish (2" to 4").

Reason for the change... one of my fish stopped swimming last night. And was flopped sideways on a plant. He was fine the day before. This morning he was still breathing...don't know his state until I get home tonight...

I'm only considering canister filters. THANKS for your time.

Andrew

IMHO, the Fluval 403 will be fine for your g/f. Why one of your g/f went wonky could be many reasons. Environmental factors, genetic predisposition, diet, etc. If your water parameters are in check (pH=7.2-7.6, kH=4-8dkH, GH=6-12dGH, NH3=NO2=0, NO3=less than 15mg/L) and feed them lots of vegetable matter you can't do any better than that. It's just up to the fish to live.

Just my opinion: Do keep in mind that these fish have been selectively bred for centuries. From what I've seen and experienced personally and professionally, it's a weakening strain of fish and not as hardy as they were 5 years ago. Same goes for Siamese fighting fish. I lost one after 6 years (from LFS) and the others that I have bought and kept in the past 2 years from the LFS haven't made it past 8 months. Just weird yet logical at the same time.

If you wish to switch to an Eheim, IMHO/E, they are worth every penny and then some. I have an old 1811 from the mid 80's that's still running like it was new. For a 77gal with g/f I'd go for a larger model. A 2217 will barely do the job 2-3 years down the road when they get to the size of a baseball, assuming they are of the "fantail" bodyshape.

Personally I prefer the "Classic" Eheims. The single quick release attachment for the 2 hoses I have found to be a PITA, whether it be on a Rena FilStar, EheimPro, Fluval...whatever comes out inthe future.

Keep in mind, all Eheims have been designed and engineered to prevent bypass of water during the filtration process. Though Fluval and FilStar "claim" a no bypass filtration system, one has to look closely to the fittings within the canister. I'll take some pics later and post.

HTH

Wilson

I don't think you can put a price on buying quality equipment in your aquariums.

If you have the money, buy the best you can.

I whole heatedly agree with wtac. The Eheim Classic Filters are by far the best on the market.

Rena, Fluval, Magnum. Don't even come close! IMO

Hi guys,

Ok details

6 1.5 to 2" Ranchu

3 3" Ranchu (from auction last week)

1 2-3" Ryukin (sick)

1 4" Ryukin

1 3-4" Red cap oranda

Several java ferns and one large crypt.

The sick fish has cloudy eyes and looks like his eyes were "pushed" into his head.

He was swimming a little this morning and I did a 15% water change last night to see if it would help.

>>>>

Ok for the filter. I just thought the 2215 would be good because it's on sale right now and comes with all the substrate and such. I have a 404 as well and I found it more trouble some to seal correctly (on my Koi tank). The 403 is on this gold fish tank.

I will test the water tonight. I didn't get to it last night as I was very busy.

THANKS!

Andrew

Just reading about the FilStar XP models and they seem to be good too.

Pisces also has the XP3 model on sale for $199.

Thanks for all the input. I check water first tonight before doing anything.

I've never owned an Ehiem but I will say that a lot of people who's opinions I value swear by them.

I'm wondering why you will only consider a canister. The thing I'd be concerned about with those fish is mechanical filtration. Basically no canister is going to do a very good job at picking up waste, they don't move enough water. You would probably be much better off with an Aquaclear 500 added to you existing filter.

Id there a specific reason you don't want a HOB?

Eheim Classics are my first choice. Rena FilStars/Eheim Pro are a close seconds. Eheim Pro w/Wet-Dry are too finicky (IMHO) for the price you pay. Honestly forget the rest of the canisters.

Fluval X04: 4-5 changes since it's introduction, well, if they didn't get it right the first time...

Magnums: I never had that didn't give me problems in one way or another. Diatom capability is nice but a real PITA to prime w/powder. Better off with the Whisper Diatomagic. Those are SUPER EASY to use diatom filters :thumbs:!!!

HTH

Wilson

I believe that any filter is only as good as the media inside it and the person who cleans it.

I have an eheim 2215 with multiple sized substrate for mechanical filtration. I love the thing. It is quiet, has a good turnover rate, never fails me and definately adds to the quality of the tank. However, it is a PITA to clean. Therefore it does not happen often and I will not use anything but rock, gravel, cylinders and such inside.

I use aquaclears to get rid of the visible waste. I don't think they are effecient enough to force water through all the media to get a real good mechanical filter going. I use them with various grades of foam and floss to get rid of all the bigger crud. They are easy to clean and change the media. They are so visible that you can tell at a glance if they need servicing or not.

Don't think it is a matter of one or the other. They compliment each other so well that they make a great team when used to the most of their potential.