Gonna give cichilds a try!!!

blainetyson

Blue dempsey as in Electric blue Dempsey? If so yo umight have trouble finding quality fish. Watch out for the Big als ones. Members on here have tried them many times and the BA ones seems to easily get eye problems and are sickly.

Are you planning on putting live plants in the tank? If so Severums like tearing up plants so they wouldn't be a good choice for a planted tank.

Personally, I would go with a pair of Severums as the blue dempsey could get his a$$ kicked by the firemouths - when and if they breed. You could also add a pair of convicts to the mix.

As for severums, if I lived in Calgary, I would check to see if Golds still has the rotkeil severums available - they look awesome.

EDIT:

I just checked the OP location - Edmonton. I am not sure if the rotkeil severum would be available there; Golds will ship. You can see the rotkeil here:

Golds South American Cichlid Pics

You could also add a salvini, but I would suggest only one (females have the best colour imho) as a pair can become extremely aggressive when they breed.

Edited by dcookcan

:lol: silly african people.

agression varies a huge amount with the growth of the cichlid (neo's anyway) for example, in my experience umbies and dovii will get their @ss kicked by a simular sized convict when babies but at 5 inches or so the convict is toast. to my knowledge no person on this forum has seen a fully grown blue dempsey so nobody really has a clue how agresssive they are (although generaly people say they are a bit more timid than the regular version) even though they arent the "crazy cichlids" everyone seems to think I have only seen a few that are as/less docile than the average firemouth (that being like a blue jack being as/less agressive as a firemouth) And I have never seen one that could stand up to a salvini as they get the guapote chomps/attitude.

you really halfto think what you want: moderatly peacefull (like with severums/festivums) , semi agressive like firemouths/jack dempsey/parrots

if I was going to do it again I would go with some smaller gymnogeophagus (sp?) a few diadema and some severums

sorry, this probably doesnt make sense. I broke my wrist and im pretty wacked out on codine