Wormies

Kevin

See the total disaster posting, this is the same tank.

My filter stalled, and I did not know for how many days so I dismantled it to clean it and fix it.

Inside I found little half centimeter worms or leeches. They moved like a worm/leach and appeared to the naked eye like little tiny earth worms (same color and moved in a similar fashion) and they were responsive to outside stimuli. There were about a dozen and the ones I saw had all moved to the top of the filter.

Any idea what these are? Any idea how to kill them? Is there any danger to these being in the house with a baby? I try and keep fish stuff and baby seperate, but cross contamination is likely as, well that is what family houses are like.

I have no experience with worms at all. Oh, I have seen no evidence of tape worms or other digestive track trailers, but that does not mean anything.

Kevin

This was a planted tank, right? All sorts of critters can show up with plants. Did you get a close look at them, or get any photos?

I would guess that your wormies are planaria- they're recognizable by their slightly arrow shaped head and eyespots. Very responsive to outside stimuli, especially light. These little guys are harmless detrivores. Found one recently- he was kind enough to volunteer for some photos and microscope time.

It's also possible that they were leeches. The good news is that the majority of freshwater leeches are not parasitic :) Had one of these in my filter once, too.

I wouldn't worry too much about these guys infesting your tank or baby or anything. Both of these critters would make tasty fish snacks, which is probably why they were hiding out in your filter.

Planaria video: http://oz.cx/movies/planaria-xvid.avi

Planaria and eggs:

PICT2138.jpg

PICT2141.jpg

Edited by werner