25 Gal- Suggestions

Austin

I know I have talked about this before in this forum- but I thought I would ask for some suggestions from this community.

My wife and I inherited a 25 gal tank all set up when a friend of ours moved from Calgary to PEI. It is my first fish tank ever- and well needless to say since we got it in Sept. I have been hooked and totally addicted to learning more more more! :boxed:

There is a pleco in our tank that I am pretty sure is getting to big to be in a 25 gal. - I have been looking online (and here) for a 120-180 gal to accomidate him. The reason we are looking so big- instead of just a 90....is well, I would rather buy once and get what we really want than- buy now and upgrade later to what we really want. So anyway...I have not been able to find a larger tank as of yet and I cant get the pleco out of my head. I know there are stores we can take him into and that I could sell him on here- thats just such a hard thing for me to do, I did end up getting attached to the big guy. (approx 7-8 inches) So the point of this post- if we were to give the pleco a new home :cry: - I was trying to figure out what to add in his place.

Here is our tank stock now-

2 Pearl Gourami (male and female)

3 fancy guppies

3 tetras (not sure of the kind)

1 Big Pleco (not sure of the kind)

If we were to find the pleco a new home- what are some suggestions for his place?

We were thinking cory's (if so I know they like to be in a group- whats a suitable number)

or a Bristlnose pleco since they stay smaller

or a SAE (not sure how big they get)

All suggestions and comments welcomed-

Corys are wonderful fish but don't clean up algae. A B/N pleco should be alright as they stay reasonably small.

Definately a BN pleco as they are very busy creatures, constant workers. They'll not only keep the glass clean but also every surface in the tank, including plants. They do not eat the plants eiter. They'll however devour zukes and cukes. A SAE will also be usefull as a very effective cleaner of algea. As for cories, they will scour through the gravel looking for uneaten food wich helps keep any "overfeed" fouling to a minimum. New to me , is the effectiveness of malasian trumpet snails. They stay quite small , multiply and usually stay under the substrate, eating all decaying material and airating it as well. All in all quite the A team . Sue

Edited by Qattarra