77g planted tank

Tanked

A few pictures from my 77g planted tank. I recently had to tear the tank completely down due to home renovations. The plants floated in another tank for over 2 weeks. I took the opportunity to replace my substrate with flourite. I then had a faulty CO2 regulator that caused me massive ph swings so those who feel that fish cannot withstand inconsistent Ph I would beg to differ. On some days my Ph went from 7.6 to 5.9 and back and forth as I fiddled with the regulator and I never lost a fish. In any event it is back up with a new regulator and although the tank is overplanted and too green (need some red plants) it is starting to come back.

Rick

00_00000.jpg

00_00012.jpg

00_00017.jpg

Very nice, tanked!!!

Glad to hear that you didn't have a catastrophe from the funky reg. What kind of lighting and bulb type are you using?

Wilson

I made a canopy and wired 2 x 4 light ballasts powering 6 x 32 watt 6500 k daylight bulbs so they are slighly overdriven a bit. Seems to work well. Previously I had 4 x 40w T12 bulbs sitting over the glass cover. It made quite a difference removing the glass and adding a bit extra lighting.

Rick

Pretty good lighting!!!

Since you have a pressurized CO2 system, why not take advantage of it ;). Try changing a bulb or two with CoraLife 50/50 (used in SW aquariums) and get some reddish plants such as Alternanthera sp., red Nymphaea sp. lillies or Rotala willissii(sp?) to puch it up a bit. I'm typing from Toronto, ON so I'm not too sure of what's available to you in AB :D.

The blue wavelengths from the 50/50 are great for plants with red pigments and will encourage the reddening of some plant species. What other plants are available to you in AB?

Wilson

Very nice tank!!!

I have 2 6500K and one 5000K on my plant tank. I found the growth has dropped off after going to 6500 K bulbs. Seemed like 5000K worked better for me.

You're obviously having great success!

Pretty good lighting!!!

Since you have a pressurized CO2 system, why not take advantage of it ;). Try changing a bulb or two with CoraLife 50/50 (used in SW aquariums) and get some reddish plants such as Alternanthera sp., red Nymphaea sp. lillies or Rotala willissii(sp?) to puch it up a bit. I'm typing from Toronto, ON so I'm not too sure of what's available to you in AB :D.

The blue wavelengths from the 50/50 are great for plants with red pigments and will encourage the reddening of some plant species. What other plants are available to you in AB?

Wilson

I have grown Alternanthera with no problem in this tank and do have some Lugwigia repens coming up that looks o.k. I'm actually in Winnipeg and most of our plants are obtained via Tropica. I have a request in for a number of reddish plants including willissii. There is also a Echinidorus x barthii (double red) in there although it does not show up well in the picture. I like the idea of the Corolife bubls and may give them a shot if I can get the red plants. Thx.

Rick

Nice tank!!!!!! :bow:

i am so tempted to do a small planted...

what kind of water changes do you do????

I have been doing weekly changes around 40% or so and doing a combination of dry dosing and liquid ferts. Seems like a never ending struggle to get the right combination of ferts in the tank. Tank is filtered with a fluval 404 and I just run the CO2 line into the intake of the filter. Once I feel the ferts are o.k then I will likely go to 25 water change every two weeks.

Rick

Pretty good lighting!!!

Wilson

hey Wilson

unless I missed it I checked for a 50/50 T8 bulb with Coralife products and the only thing I see for my size bulb is a 15 w x 18". They do have some 40W T12's but I have T8's.

Rick

It shouldn't make a difference. If you have the a tar ballast it should fire T-12's without a problem. When I had my 55g marine, I did mix T-12's and T-8's on HomeDepot shop lights and they fired without problems. Ask the LFS if you can return the bulb if it doesn't work out for you.

HTH

Wilson