What went wrong?

Paul & Lana

The City of Calgary treats their tap water with chlorine, not bleach.

How is Calgary's drinking water made safe from microbiological organisms?

Calgary's water treatment facilities are designed to effectively deal with microbiological threats using a multiple barrier approach:

At the beginning of the treatment process, water is first disinfected with chlorine to help inactivate harmful micro-organisms.

Aluminum sulphate (alum) is mixed with the water to help remove the fine particles that make the water cloudy (turbid). Alum causes the particles, and micro-organisms, to clump together and settle out of the water in the settling basin.

The water then flows through fine filters made of sand, gravel and anthracite. These filters screen out remaining particles and help remove any micro-organisms that may be resistant to the disinfection process.

Finally, chlorine is added to the finished water before it leaves the treatment plant. This keeps the water disinfected as it travels through the water mains to reach homes and businesses.

You can read more here;

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gat...Quality+FAQ.htm

The City of Calgary treats their tap water with chlorine, not bleach.
How is Calgary's drinking water made safe from microbiological organisms?

Calgary's water treatment facilities are designed to effectively deal with microbiological threats using a multiple barrier approach:

At the beginning of the treatment process, water is first disinfected with chlorine to help inactivate harmful micro-organisms.

Aluminum sulphate (alum) is mixed with the water to help remove the fine particles that make the water cloudy (turbid). Alum causes the particles, and micro-organisms, to clump together and settle out of the water in the settling basin.

The water then flows through fine filters made of sand, gravel and anthracite. These filters screen out remaining particles and help remove any micro-organisms that may be resistant to the disinfection process.

Finally, chlorine is added to the finished water before it leaves the treatment plant. This keeps the water disinfected as it travels through the water mains to reach homes and businesses.

You can read more here;

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gat...Quality+FAQ.htm

I understand that but apparently they have been experimenting with Bleach at the moment. I think it has something to do with part of the plant closed down for repairs. Not sure exactly just what I heard.

OK keep us informed on your levels.

Also...how are you curing water for your changes, I have heard through the grape vine that the city is using Bleach inthe water right now. I could tell when I was filling up the 90. strong bleach smell, since then I have been letting ALL water sit for 24 hours with a powerhead before putting it into a tank. sucks but I think the fish are happy that I do that

Today it's somewhere between .5 and .25 for the ammonia level, pH is still at 8, will test in a bit again. Good news though, went to check on the tank and another clown loach was swimming around, he's now in a baggie over the small tank waiting to join his buddies.....

For water changes, I have been adding the chemicals, then pumping the water from the tap really slowly (15G an hour or so)...

Lana

I suppose that a call would verify if that is true, or not. Either way, the water directly from the tap should be fine for your fish, if not, a whole lotta LFS's in Cow Town would be in big trouble.

True True...

Dying fish is always tough to figure out when it is someone else having the problems. and on top of that they are clown loaches which can be even harder to figure out, being suseptable to alot of things.

GL Lana hope you figure it out. Keep up on your tests and maybe try a touch of salt to help.

I suppose that a call would verify if that is true, or not. Either way, the water directly from the tap should be fine for your fish, if not, a whole lotta LFS's in Cow Town would be in big trouble.

I doubt it...I do 50%-95% water changes on as many as 14 of my tanks daily, and I have had zero problems (my water comes from Bearspaw and that plant), and Riverfront (who ages water mostly) has had no issues (Riverfront's water comes from the Glenmore and that plant).

True True...

Dying fish is always tough to figure out when it is someone else having the problems. and on top of that they are clown loaches which can be even harder to figure out, being suseptable to alot of things.

GL Lana hope you figure it out. Keep up on your tests and maybe try a touch of salt to help.

Will add some more salt to the tank when I go sample the water. The four left are doing ok and seem fine, not sure why they are though, there's a mix of sizes as far as who made it and who didn't?

Oh and Matt, on a side note, Rocky the crayfish is doing fine, he took on the redtails today over a chunk of shrimp..... :D

Lana