What the heck came with my live rock?

Adam

Well I'm just getting started with my new salt water tank and purchased my first batch of live rock the other day...I've since noticed a few interesting things sprout up on the rock and have no clue what they are, if they need to be fed etc. Would anyone know of any good resources of where to find this info? I've taken a couple of pics to send to anyone who might know a thing or two about this kind of stuff.

Cheers!

Well, I think I've come to the conclusion that I have green star polyps here but does anyone have any other guesses on what I've got in the middle of the pic? I've heard, so far, that it may be some kind of carpet anenome or some kind of mushroom...any more ideas??

Sure looks like a purple mushroom to me.

Just curious where did you pick up the rock, at a store or from a hobbyist? Very unusual to get hitchhikers like that on newly imported rock.

You may wish to keep an eye out on that mushroom. Under certain conditions they can spread quite rapidly. While this will seem cool at first, it will become a problem down the road if you intend to keep other corals as they will prevent other corals from doing well.

I actually got it from a store in Edmonton called Aquarium Illusions ( www.aquariumillusions.com ). They had a lot of decent stuff and the guy seemed fairly helpful. It cost 8$/lb and the other piece of rock I got there also had some of the green star polyps on it ...I'll definately go back there. As far as the mushroom goes, I guess I will just have to watch its progress because for right now I'm not really looking at putting too much for coral into the tank.

Sure looks like a purple mushroom to me.

Just curious where did you pick up the rock, at a store or from a hobbyist? Very unusual to get hitchhikers like that on newly imported rock.

You may wish to keep an eye out on that mushroom. Under certain conditions they can spread quite rapidly. While this will seem cool at first, it will become a problem down the road if you intend to keep other corals as they will prevent other corals from doing well.

Ah Ok. I know the store. :)

I wonder if it may have been traded-in rock. Well, either way it's a nice score for you.

Good luck with your tank. :)

I actually got it from a store in Edmonton called Aquarium Illusions ( www.aquariumillusions.com ). They had a lot of decent stuff and the guy seemed fairly helpful. It cost 8$/lb and the other piece of rock I got there also had some of the green star polyps on it ...I'll definately go back there. As far as the mushroom goes, I guess I will just have to watch its progress because for right now I'm not really looking at putting too much for coral into the tank.