150 gallon Tank

Garhan

Thanks Garhan. So, If I understand _ it "may" take 3 - 6 months for the plants to fully incorperate/create a "FULL-BIO"....[ best words I can come up with to say they start to stabilizr the tanks environment].

Could you give a bit more infor; about the type of lamps you are using on this setup / and how many. If fertilizers are necessary and when would you consdider using any.

Smokey

B)

damm... my thumbs may be turning green :smokey:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldnt take a full 6 months but I anticipate that as the latest time line I should have what I want. 3 months should be more realistic or even less. But because of the layered substrate I use for the plants(my own concucsion ???) it really softens the water and lowers the PH usually to about 6.5 without adding anything to the water other than 50% RO/tap water.

Currently on this tank I am under powered for light output. Running 4- HO 85watt x96" bulbs, but I can not find full spectrum in this size of tube. I need to boost this to around 700 watts give or take a few. I am waiting for a demo T-5 HO system that has this output (well equivalent to at least) The tubes are all 6500 k and this should really boost the growth plus lower the power consumption greatly. The supplier called last week to let me know that it would be 2-3 weeks before I get this fixture, plus alterations I requested. I would like a GFI installed into the fixture and seperate switches to turn off different banks light as needed.

Ferts will be required likely in a month depending on growth. I'll let the plants talk to me. They should show some kind of a sign in the leaf developement that would indicate a lack of something. Once that happens I will start to fertilize the system and the new leaf growth should show signs of positive developement and health. Here I will use the PPMD of Sears / Collins mixture, Seachem works very well also but is really expensive, but I will bottle every thing into its own containers. I.e. MGSO4- one bottle, Chelated Iron in another bottle and so on.... Each brew will be placed into a seperate bottle that will hold 500 ml with a IV drip system attached to the bottle,that will run into the trickle filter. Here I can adjust the dosing as needed dailey for the plants. It will also hold about 3-4 months of dailey dosing volume for this tank. No more mixing and preparing dailey needs for the tank.

If you need any other info let me know...hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Garhan

Next time Im in southern Alberta Flyfishing I will drop by to visit. Probably not until late spring.

Thanks for the update/information, Garhan.

>>500 ml with a IV drip system attached to the bottle<< great DIY idea. :smokey:

Ahhh - flyfishing in the springtime... Excellant idea :thumbs: :thumbs: can't wait.

Smokey

B)

• 3 weeks later...

You have a great looking tank, Garhan! That's the type of look that I would like to do, just looking for the tank now. What type of driftwood is that? I have a BIG tree stump that I found in B.C. that I put in a tank of mine, (after boiling it for about two hours) It leeched out some color for the first three months, but seems fine now, it may even be water-logged, so I may be able to re-arrange the rocks around it now. Has anyone else ever done this, or am I just cheap?

The other tank looks awesome, could use it for a swimming pool as well!

Looking forward to seeing more pics of yours in the future!

Rob.

Nope, you're not cheap Rob... that's called smart! :thumbs:

As long as it's good and clean and you're sure it's not from anyplace that might be contaminated with pollution or pesticides etc, it's a good way to go... I would do that too if I knew where to find some good pieces. :rolleyes:

You are cheap and smart :rolleyes: , just like the rest of use aquarium plant type people :smokey: . That display is Spruce Roots that came from a burned out creek bottom on the Forestry Trunc Road north of Hiway #11. I also usually pick sandstone in that area also. Or on the Erith Tie River at Edson. Tjere are some good outcrops along the riverbanks that allow the picking of some unusual rocks generally not found near the surface.

Back to the roots. Like I said there are 3 pieces that are advered together with Waterfall Foam (fish safe). It is used in the aqua landscaping buisness. I purchased this at Canar Rock Products in Edmonton. $20.00 approxamately.

What I do with the roots is sandblast them first then soak them in rain barrels over the summer. No other additives are used. Some people have suggested bleach, but it soaks in deep with the water and will also leach out. There fore the sandblasting which also allows you to smooth out edges and sharp pointed pieces.

wITHIN THE ROOTPILE i ADHERE IT TOGETHER IN A PREDETERMINED DESIGN (MOVE ROOTS AROUND ALOT TO GET DESIRED EFFECT) as I build it I put in place pots or pieces of shale to build hollowed plant holding areas. In a 150 gallon you could use larger 4-6" pots. The shale and or pots also add weight to the structure so as to help kep it down. :thumbs:

In this tank I wanted the display to sweep from left to right, with the substrate built higher on the left and back left. As it tabers down to the right there are is the back section a terrace that holds back the gravel. This is attached to the displayn and made from a dark grey shale.

Use other roots like fir and cedar that is found in BC. There is great root and rock picking there in the mountains. Not like on the prarie fields.

Cheers,

Garhan