room on the band wagon?

johnsmith

My wife really wants me to get rid of my fw 90g and replace it with one of those cubes on the counter at Golds.

I like the idea and it seems like half the people here have made the switch, but I'm still hesitant to go through all the trouble of getting rid of what I have and starting completely from scratch.

Here are some of the issues that are making me hesitant:

1. I have a feeling the price will escalate. The tank itself + live rock is expensive for me but after selling my complete 90g set up the difference should be minimal or hopefully even.

What other costs will there be? Is the salt expensive? Other chemicals? Powerheads? ect.

2. I know bigger is always better for newbies, which makes me think learning on one of those small tanks could be a mistake, possibly an expensive one.

What will maintenance entail?

3. I'm sure there are other issues that will come up after I have a tank, live rock and salt water.

For a beginner like me is there anything else I should consider before taking the plunge?

A TON of people are taking my cubes because they are a cheaper way to experiment with saltwater. If you don't mind only having a few fish, but a bunch of neat inverts and some coral you can really get a nice setup for under a grand. Compare that price with trying to convert your 90 into salt.

People that have never kept fish are being very successful.

You can get cubes now with everything that bigger systems have. I've got one with a skimmer and a fuge on it.

Keep your 90 and get a nano.

Keep your 90 and get a nano.

Actually, I would have to sell my 90 just to afford a nano :D

Probably not worth it unless it is in top notch shape and you sell it to someone new to the hobby. The rest of us tightwads need our money for our salt tanks. :lol: