DIY background

nicklee88

Anyone interested in just plain paper backgrounds? You know you'd buy them at the store, and they'd be blue black... what ever colour, or have pretty pics of underwater landscape on them? I'm serious about drawing them for you guys, at a price i admit, but you'd be getting origanal quality art work that you wouldn't see anywere else. Last vist to my moms let me find my old, barely used art kit with a set of paints, so i can do any medium you'd like me to try. If there's a pic you have that you like, but can't be used as a background, I'll gladly redraw it so you can. I'm even thinking of laminating each peice so that the water and moisture can't damage them. I'm just about finshed a sketch, done in conte.... like a brownish chalk... I'll have it up on my art site soon. For those who'd like a taste of things, here's a link. Sorry, nothing really aquatic on it yet.

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/a/m/amarie/amarie.html

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where I used to work. I'm the guy "painting" the manequin of myself. It was used for a civil war display in Tennessee, after application of mustouche, hair and uniform of course.

Okay, I'm officially creeped out, and I mean that as the best compliment possible. :rofl:

We did a quick video as well where me and the manequin were looking at each other and then turned to face the camera at the same time (couple guys out of sight moved the manequin). We had to try a few times to get it just right but when we did it even gave me the chills.

Christian (its Tim, BTW) yeah, I'm doin' the fast and dirty, try to keep my respirator on as much as possible. Did a long stint of carving 2-part foam for the Disney floats when I first started that wasn't a whole lot of fun. Sounds like you're familiar with the place?

What's on-the-rock?

OK, the company is actually called Back to Nature, site is called on the rocks. It's one of the links I provided earlier and is the basis of the background I plan to build. I want to do something like the Tanganyikan display but with a bit more seperation in the shale to match more closely the rocks in my tank.

I agree, all the backgrounds they offer are top quality. I really appreciate all the research they have done prior to building any of the sets.

yeah, I'm doin' the fast and dirty, try to keep my respirator on as much as possible. Did a long stint of carving 2-part foam for the Disney floats when I first started that wasn't a whole lot of fun. Sounds like you're familiar with the place?

Sure am...I have 10-15 friends that have worked there in the past, and a couple who still are.