DIY background

nicklee88

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm.... lets see - people willing to volunteer their artistic talents and try an interesting project. Well have I got a deal for you, I have a 77 gallon tank I will be draining in the next couple of weeks. I would like to attempt one of these backgrounds but I know I'm not that talented. I will volunteer the tank in exchange for talent.

Paul

I could try drawing something. could you tell me to size to the back of your tank? that way i could get used to drawing on a large scale project again. Right now im just doing a few sketches in my book. Once i get them on my site, ill post the link so you guys can see.

Really! That's how my old boss started out.

Since I gave the links to fishmanty I might as well do the same for the board.

This is where I used to work. I'm the guy "painting" the manequin of myself. It was used for a civil war display in Tennessee, after application of mustouche, hair and uniform of course.

http://www.studioycreations.com/index_flash.php?screenRes=hi

and this is where I work now,

http://www.fdscenechanges.net/

Cpt Carver

Edited by CptCleverer

Hey, just a few Calgarian questions here:

I got 2, 2" thick, 2'x4' pieces of styrofoam to make a background of my 33gallon. I was looking at the plexiglass and the cheapest piece I found (that can fit 36x18) was $17... and I wasn't gonna fork over that much until I found out other prices. So with that said, my questions are:

Does anyone know where to get cheap plexiglass? (of prev mentioned dimensions)

Does anyone know where to get pigments for cememnt (cement paint)? (Rona didn't have a clue what I was talking about)

Also, Does anyone know where to get 4" thick styro in Calgary? (I'd rather get 1 4" then silicone 2, 2" 's.

Also, What type of Silicon would be the best/safest for aquariums? I've used stuff for my bulkheads and such in the past, but forgot the brand. I know some aren't aquarium safe, but I also know that I don't have to buy the "Aquarium Silicone tubes" that you see at big als.

There was a few other questions... but I forget now... I'll get back with more questions, and leave these ones with you guys for now!

This is where I used to work. I'm the guy "painting" the manequin of myself. It was used for a civil war display in Tennessee, after application of mustouche, hair and uniform of course.

Okay, I'm officially creeped out, and I mean that as the best compliment possible. :rofl: