DIY background

nicklee88

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure you could make a HOBF one of these... just make the rocks really sunken in, and then instead of using the solid plastic intake like on a AC, use tubing that is the same diameter... and then on the other end of the tubing, attach the normal intake for an AC (you could use Silicone or a few wire ties to ensure neither ends will disconnect. I have seen people do this before)... Then you could either run the tubing behind the background, through the background, or infront. Or you could start behind the background, then just drill a hole and poke it through. Probably wouldn't be able to see it at first glance. Thats actually tempting to attempt. Anyone know where to get the pigments and styrofoam he used? (Or similiar)

If your looking for someone with artistic ability look now further then me! lol. For that styrofoam thing... id charge maybe $10 for the work... maybe 5 youd just have to buy the stuff kay?? Also, I'm thinking of drawing backgrounds. like though sheets of backgrounds you buy at the stores.Chirsty bought one and tapped to the back of her tank, is that what your suposed to do? I figure id be good at that.

Just a question to peoples out there

Im thinking of actually attempting to make one of these backgrounds... I just don't have a tank that I want to put it in right now... so does anyone wanna volunteer there tank (the size), and I will try to make one for it, and then if it works, I will sell it to you at the cost of materials? I only have my 150gallon that it would fit in, but I've already spent a bit of money trying to get good size supplies for it. Or what do people think about a sample size? Im thinking maybe just to do a small sample piece (tho it will cost a bit, cause I'd be buying small quantity of supplies).

Any volunteers? anyone at all?

(no joke, Im actually seriously considering attempting this, or atleast a small piece of this)

(all my other tanks are too small in the depth(width), like my 33 gallon and 30 gallon which is only 12inches

I dunno about caves, cause most of these backgrounds stay in place because they get wedged in. I've seen articles were people have weighted them with plaster and what not... im sure you could silicone the cave down, or place wood on top, or rocks... then it'd work

Hmm, its a really really tempting project... Gonna go see what kinda styrofoam is available at rona and homedepot

I have done a bunch of research on the variety of backgrounds people have made for their tanks. Lots of great ideas out there. I found most of them by doing a Google search "tank background" or something ike that.

Rahim, caves would be easy. Saw one design where the guy started with PVC pipe with a bunch of holes and dividers added, then built the background around and over that.

fishmanty, don't let the size of the tank stop you. Just start with a single, thinner sheet of styro, make smaller rocks. Saw lots for small tanks in my surfing. I actually think the guy profiled could have done a much better job.

I can't do it right now but I will see if I can find some more of the links to other backgrounds and post them here.

Also, I'm a scenic artist. I make floats, displays and backdrops for stage and screen, and my main medium is, you guessed it, styrofoam. I have sculpted quite a few rocks in the past couple years and wouldn't mind doing a few more. I want to make backgrounds for my tanks as well. If you guys get the materials and a place we can mess up I wouldn't mind helping put a few of these things together.

Let me know what you think as I am too tired to do any more thinking tonight.