Water Poll

johnsmith

Water  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 year later...

Extra costs, in this hobby? NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually my Nano cube hasn't really cost me a whole lot more than the tank and stand itself. I already had an ro/di system, so I don't count that. Haven't modded the tank or lighting, yet. Start out slow, tank, LR, salt hydrometer/refractometer, good test kits. Go slow, nothing good happens in salt water fast, except troubles.

Use ro/di water if you can. I started mt 20g with tap and experienced a heavy algae bloom. Have switched to distilled water from safeway since. Besides phosphates ro/di water will be free of all the other crap that gets put into our tap water. I used a jug and a half or so week between water changes and toping up ...so about $7-$8 a week.

Edited by fishytime

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using purchased jugs of RO water @ $5 a jug in a 34 gal. I change out one jug per week so it is costing me $20 a month. One of the reasons I'm selling my reef setup. In tanks this size, pristine water will help with numerous kinds of algae breakouts you can get.

Edited by Blue Ram

• 2 months later...
I'm using purchased jugs of RO water @ $5 a jug in a 34 gal. I change out one jug per week so it is costing me $20 a month. One of the reasons I'm selling my reef setup. In tanks this size, pristine water will help with numerous kinds of algae breakouts you can get.

Buy a RO system... They don't cost much. Don't bother with RO/DI if you intend to drink the water from the RO unit (good for coffee if you want to keep you coffee maker scale free).

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_p...ct_ID=ro-afd050

This one cost $174, but I picked one up from an LFS @ $99.00 which included prefilter, activated carbon and membrane.

This will pay itself off in 8 months and the membrane will last you over a year (mine has been giving pristine water for over 14 months). I hook up an inline TDS meter (@ $40) to monitor the outgoing water. It shows consistently 0 mg/L TDS on the outlet and 137 mg/L TDS on the inlet (=tap) water. Phosphates should be less than 0.05 ppm in a reef aquarium and I used to have problems with it being over that when I was using tap water (not to mention the silicates).

If you've a big aquarium the unit will pay for itself in one week LOL.

Edited by amoreira

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I am on just tap water. Its been 2 weeks and no issues but I just added my live rock today.

My parents get RO water all the time, so I plan on switching over to that soon

So far so good. But from what I know if you keep your GPH up you shouldn't have a problems with alge blooms

Most people that seem to have run into that problem are only running 300gph in teir tank, right now i have 625gph. lol still not enought