What is this?

HOSStile

Yup. Looks similar to the one in my avatar. I got mine from PetSmart too last summer. There are more pics of her in my signature. They are very nice fish, but do become more aggressive than the typical convicts/FMs/JDs typically found at that chain. Not so bad as the RDs they peddle though. :boxed:

BTW, what was it sold as? My guess is H. cyanoguttatus, the true Texas Cichlid, as that's what mine was tagged as.

Edited by Albertan

It was in a tank marked firemouths, none were big enough to have very distinctive markings, they were so cheap I bought 2 of the more interesting ones, this one and one that turned out to be JD. Right now he is in with the JD, Festaes,FMs, Nics and others awaiting sale. There is a little pushing and shoving but nothing serious.

Edited by HOSStile

Well I guess they are sorta the same general shape as firemouths. Mine is more tolerant of convicts than FMs and they say cichlids are more aggressive towards similarly-shaped tankmates. At any rate, that pearlscale will hold its own just fine with the others it is housed with. ;)