egg cage?

Shayesmommy

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make an egg cage.

Not the kind that you take the eggs and put them in. but for the fish to lay on that keeps them safe from hungry mouths. lol.

I had an idea to put one on after which would have been great, but now she is purposally knocking the eggs off to eat so the male doesnt get mad at her.

They are getting ready to lay again so i was hoping to have something in place to see if i can get them further along this time, not further behind.

The male is great at all aspects of being a father but the mother isnt learning much.

Oh they are breeding on a intake tube (not hooked up to a filter) suction cupped to the side of the tank.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks Jen

Edited by Shayesmommy

You could probably use a breeder net suction cupped over the tube.

But then wont' you have to worry about keeping the eggs airated. You'll have to add an airstone or something to keep them healthy.

Why dont' you just remove the eggs to a seperate tank as it will be easier to care for them then under a "egg cage"

well i moved the parents into the breeding tank. And they are doing well.

I want to teach them to be good parents.

So i read that sometimes if you can keep the eggs with them until wiggler stage they will learn to be better parents.

They wont eat the wigglers but might stop eating the eggs after raising babies.

Im not in a hurry or anything to get them to breed and raise up the eggs. Its all a learning process.

Before when they were in the main tank i had the chance to steal the eggs when she started eating them. My water was to hard in the breeding tank at the time. Sincce then its drastically softer and perfect to raise babies in.

There first breeding attempt was last week in the breeding tank. I snuck in the room to watch and the male trys not to let her eat them.. But this time she litterally knocked the eggs off after each round and would snack.

So i was hoping to make something to give them a couple shots of letting the eggs make it and having them raise the wigglers.

The idea of the breeder net underneath is a good idea tho. so if she knocks them down she cant eat them...

But if the male doesnt have a chance to properally fertalize them it doesnt work either.