Mexican Fishes

Well, I just returned from a great week in Mexico, loved it, and want to go back (like everyone else who goes). I'm looking into all sorts of job possibilities and what-not, and of course, would love to do something with fish. But seeing as almost all my experience is in African fish, I'm looking for peoples help and ideas about Mexican and other CA fishes. This is just testing the waters a bit with other hobby types, but I'm looking for honest opinions and ideas. Who knows, I may be doing something down there sooner rather than later!

Are there many Mexican and CA fishes that people in the hobby are after, and that just aren't available? - both fresh and marine? cichlids, livebearers, cats, killies? (I can't seem to find any exporters, at least none that are OFI associated)

Would you be interested in a freshwater themed ecotour for a day? Rather than the drive through the jungle to see birds and trees, something where you were taken to a river/lake and could try collecting some fish of your own (with the possibility of having them sent back with you) and even snorkelling/diving (if visibility/conditions allowed), something aimed specifically at the tropical fish hobbyist? I know myself, I always wonder what kind of fish are around the resorts/villages etc. that I've been to, and I always with that I had even just brought a single net to 'see whats in that little pool over there' (I'm not the only one, am 1?).

If you've got any other suggestions and ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm trying to give this as much thought and research as possible.

Thanks for your suggestions and ideas!

Sounds interesting. :D I usually check out the lfs in areas that we have been too. When I was in South Carolina, I must have spent an hour trying to figure out what kind of fish were in the pond outside Wards Aunts place. I believe they were texas Cichlids but not 100% sure, I will have to travel with some reference books. Next time I go somewhere, I will bring books and try to check some ponds out.

I would love to travel and be able to learn about and see the local fish in their natural habitats, like you I have mostly Africans, and am just starting to dabble in CA's and SA's.

There are lots of uncommon cichlids in Mexico; H steindachneri, pantostictum, beani, the list goes on and on. Another cool thing are the colour variants of more common species.

There are a group of guys on the waterwolves site that go collecting every year, last year it was Honduras and they came back with anableps dovii, a new species of parachromis and some ridiculous motaguensis. They are leaving soon for a trip to Tampico Mexico.

I know I would love to go a day trip like you described.

I allways make a point of snorrkelling in the Rivers any time I am down South.

I have never been any where tropical but judging from what I have seen on the net angling or fly fishing. for some of th C/A cichlids might be quite a rush.

There are a group of guys on the waterwolves site that go collecting every year, last year it was Honduras and they came back with anableps dovii, a new species of parachromis and some ridiculous motaguensis. They are leaving soon for a trip to Tampico Mexico.

I'd love to go on that trip but prior commmitments won't allow it. :(