Vacuming sand

corrosionjerry

Is there a trick to vacuming sand? I have always had gravel on the bottom of my tanks... I put sand in my latest tank but I find it very hard to vacume it up completly.. Its a great looking tank the fish love the substrate and you hardly see any spoil.. problem is I know it is there... would like any advice possible to make it better... Thank You

You should be able to use your gravel syphon to vacuum with. However you may have to restrict the flow some what. And if you have fine sand the waste that you see is all there is as it stays on top.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

I find though that in my FW tanks with playsand that a significant amount does make it down through the lower layers with time, especially where there are fish that love to dig. The deeper sand does seem to go anaerobic, discolours and can develop quite a gas build up. So nowadays I always stir the sand up completely to the bottom with my syphon to release the gas, pick up the deep waste and just generally mix things up.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'm new to this site hence the late reply. I do have some experience with sand substrate. I use a water python to vacuum it but put a 3 gal pail under the discharge in the sink. I can vacuum aggressively and suck a fair bit of sand through the python without it plugging. The sand falls into the pail and settles out while the watertrickles out over the top. Make sure your drain is clear!! When I'm done I can just dump the 2 or 3 cups of sand back into my tank. I also removed the 2.5" tube from the suction end and replaced it with a 1.5" tube and it helps separate sand and gunk better.

I finally took my sand out after a few years because I kept scratching the glass when using an algae scrubber (a grain of sand always gets into the scrubber!!