best fish 4 a community tank

P@UL

There are tons of choices.

How big is the tank? Do you want schooling type fish, or a pair of something? Bottom dwellers or mid level fish?

Tetras work great in a community tank and add lots of color. For bottom dwellers, cory cats are nice and fun. The rainbowfish can also work, depending on tank size.

Or a pair of "peaceful" cichlids like apistosor rams might work

i just want to no wat r some really nice looking fish that i could buy in the future

hubby and i just bought some pleco's from henry's that are live barers

i just want to no wat r some really nice looking fish that i could buy in the future

hubby and i just bought some pleco's from henry's that are live barers

sorry make that platties

The thing is that the size of the tank will either open up more options or limit your stocking.

For example, I would recommend congo or columbian tetras for a 55 gallon, but not a 20g. The size of the tank makes a huge difference, and so do your preferences regarding loners or schooling fish.

Also, what is your substrate like? Do you plan to keep any bottom dwellers?

If it's for the 30g in your sig, I wouldn't recommend anything. That tank is already heavily stocked.

its not over stocked trust me the fish r very small and the frogs and shrimmp sit in the same spot 24/7 but im not adding to that tank im gettin a new one maybe tomorrow so i want suggestions when the tank is ready but no i kinda want more sharkish fish but the tend to grow way to big

The thing is, that although the fish are very small right now, they will grow. They don't stay the size you bought them. And with that increased size, comes increased bio-load.

You'd be better off weeding through your stock list and increasing the number of each individual species of schooling fish, instead of trying to introduce new species. Cories, tetras, white clouds and hatchet fish are all schooling and need to be kept in groups (3-5 for cories, 6+ for tetras, WCMM's and hatchets. More is better when it comes to schooling fish). You'll see a marked change in behavior if you allow these fish their proper social environment. They'll be out and active more often, and the tank will look fuller.

Your clown loach is already going to outgrow (or become stunted and unhealthy because of) your 30 gallon tank...it will grow over a foot long, needs 3-4 loachie companions, and requires a 150 gallon tank to be happy in the long run. You should aim for that size tank if you can. Then you can keep a shark, like the Red-tailed for example, happy for its full lifespan in a tank that won't cause it to become stunted or deformed.

Edited by Osprey